1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Revving the engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bossman, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bossman

Bossman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My brother came up today to visit.
    He also wanted to check out my car. We went outside and I showed him the smart entry system (not so impressed his Infinity FX has the same system). showed him the push button start (that got his attention). He could not believe how quiet it was (the ice was off as we pulled away)
    I let him drive. The first thing he did was to try and rev the engine. Have any of you tried? You can't do IT!! I have had the car since August 28th with over 3500 miles and I never tried to rev the engine. I was shocked. Try it.

Alan

BTW he was most impressed with the screen that showed my mileage at 52.3 his truck get about 17 combined and I think he was exaggerating! :mrgreen:

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, sure makes it hard to tell the guy next to you that you want to race to the next traffic light. ;-)

3. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.. interesting.. I could to a degree, while it was in Park. The revs climb very slowly and then cut out and then climb slowly again and it keeps looping like that. only got to about 1200rpm each time (estimate based on the sound)

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed the same as Roger. Mine can rev just a little, 1200rpm sounds right to me.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... 1200rpm.. coincidentally, that's the max rpm that torque is achieved from the electric motor. Perhaps that's why it doesn't let you rev any higher? since the max amt. of torque is reached at such a low rpm...

It's very similar to my friend's Acura TSX. The engine won't let him rev any higher than 4500rpm in neutral or in 1st gear since that's where the maximum amt. of torque is.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just this afternoon, my sister and her family came to visit. We went out to lunch and I asked if she wanted to ride with me to check out Priapus. I was explaining the fly-by-wire and all the computer checks and counter-checks when I rolled to a stoplight. I said, "check this out, it won't let me sit on the brake and hit the gas."

I said this because I've done it a few times before and nothing happened; it simply ignored me.

But this time, the engine revved up. When I heard it, I let up right away and didn't press the matter any further, but it did sort of undermine that I knew what I was talking about.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the engine rpm is controlled by the speed limit of MG1 If you stand on it long enough it'll go to about 2490 RPM. At that point MG1 will be going about 9,500 RPM and the computer say's no more. Really funny thing is, it won't charge more than about 2 amps.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Tony:

i have experienced your situation also. a few times i was able to hold my foot on the brake and get some revs on the engine. but other times the engine RPM's would kick up slightly for a few seconds and then the ICE would shut down completely.

so it might just have to do with whether the car is warmed up or not. in the summer time, the ICE shuts off so fast when stopping, its hard to test this. but now that the weather is getting colder, i might try it again.