1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RF Wheel Speed Sensor Fault

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tugga, Aug 12, 2021.

1. tugga

tugga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello everyone,
    I have this 2008 Prius and the ABS lights and the other light with the exclamation mark within a circle (sorry don't know what it means) on the dash were on. My mechanic ran the diagnostic and found that the rf wheel speed sensor was at fault and mentioned that the RF sensor was not reading. To replace this it will cost 300$CAD plus taxes. My question is: I replaced the front tires a year ago, and if this was not done right could this sensor be left out when they replaced the tires? Anything you can provide will be helpful. Thanks,

2. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi if you’re referring the tpms sensor, i had to replace all four of mine (2006 prius) last year! They last 10-15 years. Sams club did them for 35 dollars a tire! hope this helps. editing i just noticed you said wheel speed sensor. Can i delete my post, I’m fairly new to being a more active priuschatter haha?

iPhone ?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the brake warning lights are on, it is likely a wheel speed sensor, not a tire pressure sensor.

Two of the lights are slightly confusable: the electronically-controlled brake warning looks like a ! in a circle in parentheses, and the tire pressure warning looks almost like that only flatter on the bottom, with a tread. :)

The wheel speed sensor isn't in the tire; it's mounted to the steering knuckle, pointing at the axle shaft.

A shop should, of course, rule out a simple wiring issue or sensor mispositioned or with something stuck to it, before jumping to replace it.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you no longer have the "manuals" in the vehicle :

2007 Toyota Prius Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

2007 Toyota Prius Dashboard Lights & Symbols Guide
    Would jack up the vehicle and check the RF wheel speed sensor, tone ring, and connections before replacing, as it could be an easy fix or connection issue.
    If the tire pressure sensor light just came on, then it is unlikely that it was left out.
    Do you happen to have the thrown OBD2 codes (DTC) that was pulled during diagnostic, as I might be able to provide the factory workup.