1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RFID key transponder safe to use around magnets?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Jan 3, 2016.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can the RFID chip found inside the Prius transponder keys be damaged due to close proximity to an N52 magnet? I am talking about the small capsule used to disable the ignition interlock computer and allow the Prius to start. I read about RFID chips in general and saw that they apparently can only be destroyed due to physical destruction, high voltage, or microwaves, but I wanted to make sure they are invulnerable to very close proximity (less than a mm) to powerful magnets, like N52.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably not, but i have no idea really.

3. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The chip was accidentally exposed to an N52 magnet for a few seconds, but it still works. Based on that and my reading, I suspect the chip cannot be damaged in such a manner.

Additional technical experience is welcome.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you had a non-magnetic material ring, say aluminum, and passing the hand over the magnet fast enough to feel some heat, there might be a risk. If you'll provide the magnetic field strength, Maxwells equations can calculate the expected induced voltage and current. But back of the envelope, you'd probably have to us a sling-shot or air-gun to move it through the magnetic field enough to even slightly risk harm.

Go with confidence and watch what you have in your pockets.

Bob Wilson