1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 Cross Bars

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Darrick1dj, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Darrick1dj

Darrick1dj New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your like me and had problems finding roof rack cross bars for your GEN4 Prius, take a look at my Rhino Rack system. They are called the Vortex 2500 in all black. They fit great and are very strong. If you decide to purchase a set I recommend etrailer. 2016 Prius with Rhino Rack2.JPG 2016 Prius with Rhino Rack.JPG 2016 Prius with Rhino Rack3.JPG They are much cheaper than the manufacturer's pricing and delivery was fast. I really appreciate the low profile on these bars. Many other brands tend to arch the bars too far above the roof line and make the car look very unattractive. Let me know what you think.

#1 Darrick1dj, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They look good. What are you using them for?

3. Darrick1dj

Darrick1dj New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kayaking.

4. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if gas mileage will be heavily affected. My first surfboard racks on my gen 2 were killing my MPGs. I returned them and got Yakima surf racks that are supposed to be fuel efficient. They work much better, but still hurt MPGs (and the wind noise is horrible).

RCO likes this.
  5. Darrick1dj

Darrick1dj New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently traveled about 800 miles with the rack on top to see if the gas mileage would be affected. A car like the Prius giving me, on average, 68 mpg dropped down to 56 mpg with rack on top; no complaints from me, and the wind noise was very minimal. Although, I must admit, riding with my music on volume 10 most of the time, wind noise is the least of my concerns.

GEN 2 Tom asked what I would be using the rack for in a comment. Check out the photo. DSC_0268.JPG DSC_0264.JPG

RCO and Oversplode like this.
  6. PriusFan06

PriusFan06 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much did you pay and you said the mpg went down. Was that with or without the kayak?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. apalapala

apalapala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is an older thread, so I wonder who's still following it. But, I was looking at your photo, and I'm wondering what the kayak is tied down to at the back? Do you have a small hitch? Did the addition of that affect your gas mileage?

Thanks!