1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rhythmic Brake noise?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Capecodbeachfront, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Capecodbeachfront

Capecodbeachfront Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    70k miles on 2013 Prius v wagon bought as a certified with 3500 miles on it. I have been happy with my first Prius. I am now getting a rhythmic thump sound when braking lightly. Ex: Rolling to a stop. Just passed a NYS Inspection done by a reputable local shop. No warning lights. No chatter in the pedal or steering wheel. No grinding noise, no long pedal push. Sound reminds me of the sensation you get when ABS is working.
    Wouldn't worn rotors have shown up during State Inspection? Calipers?
    I am thinking brakes but could it be tires? Broken belt or wear bars?
    Car certainly seems safe to drive but Prius does have certain 'weird' things I still am not used to after owning for 5+ years thus the post here. I know I am clueless so vulnerable when going to the car shop. I am hoping someone might have had a similar experience and can give some guidance.... Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not going to be much help but I would think it was brake related, probably rotors, but still could be a tire or even a cv joint. I would take it to a good mechanic but if that is questionable, I would take it to a dealer.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    warped rotors might not show up visually, someone has to put a dial indicator on them.

anything else shouldn't only happen when braking, i would think.

are you feeling anything in the pedal?

4. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Quick visit to the dealer this am for a chat before my appointment on Monday afternoon. Service writer suggested it could be the backing on the pads? Her explanation was gaps can form and make the noise when lightly braking? Warped rotors get my vote but I would be happy with something less $$$. The noise kicks in when slowly braking below 30 mph, on quiet smooth road, and disappears when brakes are more firmly applied. I had read elsewhere that because of the regeneration braking the pads and rotors often have an extended life? Of course I am rarely the guy who gets the 'good news'. I figured with a zillion Prius owners out there someone likely experienced the same noise.
    On a separate note: What problems SHOULD I expect now that my Prius V has 70k miles?
    Thank you....

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since the Prius is 99% brake by wire, the normal brake pedal feedback is artificially created by an ecu. Only when a total control failure occurs would someone actually be directly hydraulically operating the brakes. Most people, thankfully, never experience this because the systems continue to work.

bisco likes this.
  6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would expect no problems at 70k other than issues caused by age, primarily 12v battery and maybe lights. Brake rotor warping usually occurs when the rotors are very hot from extended use (which normally only occurs on long downhills when the regeneration can't store more power and the friction brakes have to do all the work). When then exposed to sudden cooling such as driving through water the rotors can warp. Yes the brake system lasts a long time. I have put on 250,000 miles on two Prii and never had to do any brake work (that's 125k on the 08 and 225k on the 12).

7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Unless you have gone through a few sets of brake pads or overheated your brakes severely, your rotors are not likely worn. Warped rotors typically won't cause the symptoms you describe - they would cause a vibration in the steering wheel while braking, not an intermittent noise.

Calipers don't really wear out. The slide pins can fail to slide, or the brake fluid seals can leak. Leaks should be detected on a state inspection.

Hybrid brakes are lightly used, because much of the braking is done by regeneration through the electric motor and into the battery. I would take the car out on an empty stretch of road, get it up to 60 mph and stop quickly down to about 20, ensuring you are using the brake pads and not regenerative braking. Repeat that process a few times. This will clean off the rotors and pad faces. If the noise continues and it bothers you, have a shop look at it. The dealer will likely fire the parts cannon at it - rotors, pads, etc. A competent independent shop would be my choice.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When was the last full brake inspection?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brakes can pick up something weird at any time, even right after an inspection. They're down near the road and sort of exposed.

I once had a left front on a Mazda that had to have picked up some bit of gravel or a metal fragment or something, made a horrendous screeching noise just as I left work, bad enough that I turned right around into the parking garage and took the brake apart right then and there. I never even saw what the foreign object was, it must have dropped out while I worked in the crummy light, but the sound was gone after I put it back together.

I take it your thump sound recurs at about the wheel-revolution period while you're slowing, and might mean there's a little gouge or scar on the rotor in one spot, possibly put there by a foreign object that is long gone by now. You might spot it without too much trouble if you take the caliper and pads and rotor off and take a good look. A moment with some 100 grit wetordry sandpaper might make short work of it.

It's the Prius Brake Paradox. It's really more or less true. But at the same time, it also leads a lot of owners to say "hey, these pads and rotors have an extended life, I can slack off on regular inspection, right?" and then some little problem crops up that would be no big deal to correct, if caught, doesn't get caught, and eats the pads and/or rotor 100,000 miles early.

There are a few more things that can happen. The "fitting kit" (little springy clips that hold the 'ears' at the sides of the pads) can lose the dry, Teflon-like lube coating they have from the factory, get surface rust, and the pads don't slide freely; they're inexpensive and very quick to change out. The brake fluid seal doesn't have to leak to be bad: another important job it has is to actually pull the piston back in (by all of 0.3 mm or so) when you're not braking, and if it gets aged, cooked, and hard rather than rubbery, it can stop doing that job even if it isn't leaking, and the brake will drag. Even that is cheap (parts-wise) to fix, but more labor; it does require opening the caliper, and air bleeding afterward.

The piston and the slide pins have rubber protective boots that can get punctured or torn, and should be replaced right away if so, to prevent saltwater corrosion of what they're protecting. Also very cheap.

10. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    NYS Inspection was completed about 4 weeks ago. Symptoms were there at the time but the shop likely never drove the car just pulled a wheel for a brake peek. I thought I could ignore the problem or maybe thru use it would lessen. But I have 800 mile trip coming up and thought it wise to follow up. Not feeling pull or drag thru pedal or steering is what is baffling me. On other vehicles you knew when brakes were bad.... I will try the panic brake stops suggested above to see if it helps.

11. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ChapmanF... thank you.

I like your suggestions but doubt I will be the lucky guy with the easy fix. I have been trying to get my wife to swap her Equinox for a Rav hybrid so Toyota reputation may take a hit if I need a 2nd full brake job on my Prius. I bet the Toyota sales reps are still selling the "you are going to have much less maintenance with a hybrid." "After all the engine does the braking and the engine is only running part of the time." Sounded convincing at the time....;)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2nd full brake job?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I mean an in-depth brake inspection, where the mechanic (or you) pulls the calipers off the rotor, lubes the caliper pins, cleans the pads and shims and relubes, cleans the contact points on the caliper, checks the rotor runout and thickness.

Toyota USA recommends this tri-yearly or 30K miles. You should have had two such inspections by now.

This is every six months:

upload_2019-6-22_11-17-34.png

But at 36 months or 30K miles:

upload_2019-6-22_11-18-50.png
    upload_2019-6-22_11-19-42.png

FWIW, most owners seem to ignore this, just wait for symptoms. It's preventative maintenance, and it costs a bit. OTOH, it may save you from a bigger expense down the road.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're not gonna get that during a state inspection

in ma, they don't even jack it up anymore. its all about emissions

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The mechanics who do "brake jobs" are the ones who work in shops, on brutal schedules on the clock, who dare not spend the time to find out what is happening, but just throw the whole bucket of parts at it and hope for the best, which works for them, as they get you to pay for the bucket of parts.

When a mere mortal like you or me works on a brake problem, we don't do a "brake job", we take the thing apart, check condition, measure thicknesses and runouts, replace only what parts need replacing, if any, give a touch of the sandpaper if called for, and put it back together,

So far, my 2010 has needed one fitting kit for the rears (about $16) a couple years ago, and judging by the last look I took, I'll probably want another one next time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our Hondas over the year, when the dealership was doing brake maintenance, they did a pretty good job I found. But yeah, to quote Stephen King, maybe the world as "moved on".

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I was driving an old Ford, those repair manuals were where I learned a lot about the take-your-time, conservative, what-makes-you-think-that-part-needs-replacing-if-some-100-grit-paper-is-enough approach to repairs.

But I had the feeling even then they were kidding themselves if they thought their dealer techs would really read that stuff.

18. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, 2nd full brake job. At 30K miles the brakes were chattering. I complained and front and backs were supposedly replaced all under warranty. I like the vehicle, liked the dealership for awhile, but wonder why I am not getting the rosy, long maintenance free brake life others seem to get. Sadly even simple car repair is not in my skill set at age 70. I did the routine stuff with the dealership for awhile but stopped when oil changes were in the $100 range and appointment times were not being honored. Ex: drop car off early for 10am oil change appointment... then have to beg for car back at 5pm. Had to bring vehicle back twice for a software update... because they were not sure the update took?

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda Shop Manuals are better than Toyota regarding Brake Inspection: they have a section with that title, and it says specifically what needs doing. I basically fall back on that with our Prius, as far as the scope. The Toyota Repair Manual explains pretty much everything you might do to brakes, right down to a full caliper overhaul, all lumped together, so you need to pick and choose. The Maintenance schedule as well is pretty vague: there's no catch phrase, say "brake inspection", that you can then turn to the Repair Manual to reference.

I think all of this contributes, to owners and dealerships enabling each other, by neglecting brakes.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now you've dropped a bombshell. is this the same dealer? seems to me the issues are related.

Air_Boss and Mendel Leisk like this.