1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RI EV charging program

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Kimberly19, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because the number of EVs on roads would only contribute enough in taxes by grossly overcharging them in comparison to ICE cars. For some states, the cost to set up and administer a separate system for them may not even make it worth while. Disallowing businesses from deducting fuel use may net more for the coffers.

Then taxing EVs separately does not address the two main reasons fuel taxes haven't kept up with repair costs; inflation and the improving fuel efficiency of the fleet.

2. Curlyone

Curlyone Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no problem paying a fair share of taxes dedicated to maintaining the road system, so maybe a tax on the tires instead?
    That would apply evenly to both ICE and EVs. It would also keep the cost applied to those that use the roads the most, use the road more, wear the tires out quicker, end up paying more in taxes, like most ICE owners have now days.

One hurdle would be the sticker shock. Most people pay little attention to the taxes on gas and probably dont realize how much they pay per year. A quick check shows 18.4 cents average in the US, at 30 MPG and 10k miles average per year, that's around $60 a year. If you average 50k miles on a set of tires, you would be adding $300 to the price of a set of tires. That could easily add %50 to the price of a set of tires. While some people would understand there's no difference paying $60 a year versus $300 every five years I doubt most people will get it.
    (please dont flame me for the math if I missed something, just spit balling here)

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not all tires last the same mileage, so that could be a problem. The summer tires in my sports car last 30k max, the tires on our Civic lasted 70k.

I doubt people are interested in pre-paying their road taxes for 5 years. You typically pay property taxes on homes 1 year in arrears, not 5 years in advance.

How would you handle snow tires? If you buy a set and pay the fees on them, that is a double fee since you only drive one set of tires at a time.

My projection - The solution will eventually be a mileage based tax (per state), once the methodology is sorted out. Pay for how much and where you drive.

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How much can it possibly cost to add a line in the DMV database - EV yes/no. If yes, collect $xx and apply this amount to account yy.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For many, paying the lump fee would be a burden while over time fees wouldn't be.

And state fuel taxes need to be factored. Many of those are higher than the federal.

In terms of tire life, and thus this proposal, swapping between two sets biannually is no different than getting two sets consecutively. Yes, time is a factor in tire life, but this tax scheme will likely ignore that.

Better to work a mileage tax now than switch to one after instituting band aid solutions.

Someone needs to make sure the right box is ticked, and handle the calls when the wrong one is. Then many states are only adding a few hundred BEVs and PHEVs combined a year to their fleets.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    throw in weight as a factor and i'm on board. and no exclusions or exemptions