1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Rice University paper on F150 vs Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.bakerinstitute.org/media/files/files/c8cb9e96/BI-Brief-061417-CES_Trucks.pdf

U.S. sales of large passenger vehicles have boomed for most of the past decade. Yet despite continued reliance on gasoline propulsion in the U.S. and a trend toward larger, more powerful vehicles, the 7.6%
    rise in miles driven seen from February 2012 to February 2017 yielded a gasoline demand increase of only 3.8%.1 Better engine technology likely underpins much of the rising gasoline consumption efficiency on U.S. roads and the big, powerful pickups and SUVs cherished by many American drivers are at the center of the action.
    . . .

Old news, we've known about the disproportionate effect of improving the efficiency of the least efficient vehicles. But it also brings up the 'problem of the commons.' If my neighbor chooses to commute to their business office in a crew-cab pickup, not my problem. Yet their 15 gallons per week slightly drives up the retail price of gasoline that I pay 15 gallons per month.

When working, I drove Prius and the last year, a BMW i3-REx with no expectation that anyone else would do the same. Understand I'm OK with a pickup with a few dents, rusty ball, and worn tires ... a truck that works on the weekend or at home. So I remain disappointed by 'urban cowboys' commuting in pristine 'commuter' pickup trucks.

Ford did some original work with the F-150 aluminum frame and probably more technical tricks that I've not really paid much attention. I'm glad for them but there is that aerodynamic problem behind the cab. Of course my BMW i3-REx has no significant, aerodynamic tail either.

Anyway, the paper is a fun read:

Consider the following: As Tesla prepares to bring the Model 3 to market, a recent survey of 800 Model 3 reservation holders reveals that they “are more than twice as likely to own a Toyota as any other brand, whereas current Tesla owners are four times as likely to own a BMW
    as any other brand.”6 In other words, many prospective Tesla owners plan to jump from vehicles that are already fairly fuel efficient into pure battery-powered rides. As such, the gasoline demand displacement from their move to the Model 3 will, in aggregate terms, be much smaller than what is likely to be achieved through adoption of more fuel-efficient engines in larger trucks and SUVs.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Those weekend work trucks for the rest of us have to come from somewhere.:)

Start/stop is going to be standard on all F150s. A 3L diesel will become an option soon, and a parallel hybrid should follow that.

GM's current cylinder deactivation in their trucks is improved over the previous version. The Silverado redesign is due for 2019, and might have start/stop or eAssist.

No idea what Toyota plans for the Tundra, which is one of the least efficient full size pick ups out there. Maybe that multi-stage HSD that is now in a Lexus was actually meant for a truck.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Of course if I trade in a Hybrid for an EV, the hybrid goes somewhere and hopefully displaces a less efficient vehicle down the chain.

Was at a family resort the last few days and there was a mini and a Prius in the garage besides mine. The rest were humongous. And on the roads going and coming I kept getting blown off the road by the same even as I was being what I consider "not a slow driver" even if I averaged 44.5 in a wagon. I understand the need for large families to have big vehicles, it is the solo drivers of same I marvel at.

RCO likes this.