1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right bashing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jan, 05:12 PM) [snapback]381791[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose we should let MJ speak for himself, but I took him to mean what he said, simply that 90% want us to go in a reasonable direction, not what you stuck in his mouth.

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 27 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]381546[/snapback]</div>
    According to The Heritage Foundation, "Relatively few Americans earn the federal minimum wage.[1] In 2005, 1.9 million Americans reported earning $5.15 or less per hour.[2] This amounted to 2.5 percent of all workers earning hourly wages and 1.5 percent of all workers in the United States."

They say that this includes people who earn tip income.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Economy/wm1186.cfm

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 27 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]381688[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 27 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]381772[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danoday @ Jan 27 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]381792[/snapback]</div>
    I was actually refering to priusguy04, who had used the term "right-winger" and implied by the use of the word "us" that he included himself in that category. When he said "The remaining 10% of us out here just annoy the other 90%" I wished to point out that I did not find him annoying.

I made no mention of fshagan in that post. But I, too, find his discussions well-thought-out and interesting, though of course I disagree with much of what he says.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 28 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]381923[/snapback]</div>

Well thank you Daniel, :)

I did use the term "Right-Winger" rather loosely, I and others out here that are independents. We often find ourselves rolled into the same category as a Republican eventhough we may have the same views as a Left-Winger on certain subjects.

I would be curious to know what everyones different outlooks/views are regarding party affiliations & what they stand for in thier minds.. I know there are Conservatives in all parties, but they still seem to be viewed/bunched into the same group no matter what party affiliation.

Democract =

Republican =

Independent =

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jan 27 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]381864[/snapback]</div>
    My 7th grade Latin is a bit rusty but loosely translated "permissum meus lacuna narro pro them self"... let my words speak for them self. Any other perversion of my meaning is just that. Twisting phrases, words and meanings against the speaker is a disingenuous way to glean support for an unsupportable stance. Typical of one too lame to come up with their own original well considered response to a popular and/or logical argument. The stance of 'I'm on the unpopular side of a position' so I will simply make everyone else miserable is, quite evidently sophomoric. Those employing such tactics deserve the derision that ultimately comes their way.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 28 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]382004[/snapback]</div>
    So, couldn't find a link to prove your assertion that “90% are ready to move forward in a reasonable direction . . .�?? :eek:

SO SHOOT THE MESSENGER FOR HAVING THE NERVE TO CALL YOU ON IT!

Saying, “let my words speak for them self†. . . isn't that just another way of saying, “just trust that what I say is the Gods honest truth.†:huh:

If your words are not backed-up with some verifiable facts, can't otherwise be independently corroborated, and fall apart under scrutiny - then the 'speak for them self' part of your defense rings quite hollow.

So what are we left with? -Trying to come to a consensus of what “move forward in a reasonable direction†really means?????
    GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. :rolleyes:

Aren't you being just a little bit disingenuous with your puffed-up facts?
    We can all read - word for word - what you wrote.
    But what were you really trying to say?
    Maybe, “my views are more popular than they really are�??

Me personally, I think that 90% of the partisans here in FHOP will just blindly agree with any drivel their comrades in arms write.
    “Hey! It sounds good . . . must be true.â€

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 27 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]381696[/snapback]</div>
    This statement is so generalized I have no idea what you are talking about could you be more specific?

Wildkow

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jan 29 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]382203[/snapback]</div>
    So, I guess you want to move in an unreasonable direction? Sounds about right... :p

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 28 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]382004[/snapback]</div>
    Are you threatening me???

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 29 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]382214[/snapback]</div>
    One can only imagine what it must feel like being repeatedly violated in all orfices (some even created) all these years, drenched, and suffocated, in the vulgar semen of Bush's Presidency!

...at least, that's how mariNjuana sees it... :ph34r:

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 28 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]381948[/snapback]</div>
    The answer to this question will define the responder more than it answers the question posed.

To a party-line Republican or Democrat, the opposing party is pure evil and wants to destroy the country and turn us over to our enemies to enslave us, while members of his own party are selfless and abused patriots willing to be martyred to save their countrymen from the satan of the opposition.

My answer will define me as well:

Both parties are principally interested in power and money, and both serve the same master: the big corporations. They lick the boots of the corporations in order to enrich themselves, and/or have the feeling of personal power.

Independents come in all flavors. Since they can almost never achieve actual political power they may be after power within their own limited following (which can be quite profitable) or they may be idealists who imagine they can make a difference from the outside, or they may be gadflys, who just like to bite the elephant from time to time merely to express their impotent outrage. Independents can sometimes get elected, and when that happens they can become power brokers, but this is a very small sub-category. Independents as a class cannot be characterized, since it is a catch-all class for everyone that does not fit into one of the named categories.

The terms Republican, Democrat, and Independent can refer to the party functionaries, including candidates/officeholders, or it can refer to voters who identify with the parties. I've answered the question above for the party functionaries. For the voters, the answers would be different. Again, my answers will define me:

People who vote D or R are mostly well-intentioned people who have been deluded or brainwashed into believing the lies of their chosen party about themselves and their opponents. Often, loyal party followers on both sides are very angry at the other party. Independent voters are likely to be clear-headed people who understand that there is no significant difference between the big parties, both of them criminal organizations, but who don't want to be mistaken for apathetic by abstaining from the election, so they vote for an independent candidate as a protest against both parties. Some independent voters fall into the lesser-of-two-evils trap, and vote for individual candidates from one party or the other, in a vain attempt to slow the inevitable downward slide.

I have made no attempt to be objective in the above analysis. :)

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 27 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]381696[/snapback]</div>
    I was refering to PC's FHOP. Its obvious that many of the 90%'ers are not really moving ahead but rather floating in the drafts of the more extremeist posters (they know who they are).

Kinda like a band-wagon of sorts, but heaven forbid if one of the non-libbys agrees with another non-libby. The bandwagon quickly attempts to run down the group in agrence.

I guess it gets lonely at the top of the perverbial Pile...... ;)

Thank you Daniel for your break down of my question, You have always given an intuitive/rational responce. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 29 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]382250[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <cleaning tea off of the monitor>

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 29 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]382250[/snapback]</div>
    Ugh, how lame.

Also, as someone who has used successfully the medicinal marijuana program in CA, I don't really get the tone of your name-calling, either. If you're not into it, fine, but I for one am no longer concerned that you'll tell my parents.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 29 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]382409[/snapback]</div>
    So, does that mean you smoked it back then for 'medicinal purposes' too? :lol:

Don't worry, I'm all for legitimate medical usage . . . but using 'medical marijuana' as a ploy to enjoy is bogus! <_<

~ Pass the joint man, I'm feelin' a little tense and in need of some social lube. :wacko:

14. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Republicans don't support a minimum wage increased: 1) because they wouls NEVER get any credit for it from any of the major media outlets; 2) no matter what the increase (even if it the exact same amount proposed by some Democrat two months earlier) it will NEVER be enough; 3) It will tick off the Republican base (i.e. small businesses). So in effect if Republicans ever supported a minimum wage increase they would alientate EVERYBODY, and they seem to do that well enough (with help from the mainstream media i.e. NY Times etc.) why rub salt in a wound they know will cause them grief.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan, 10:34 AM) [snapback]382874[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. Why do the right thing when it could be damaging politically? That would be just silly.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 30 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]382874[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of people, left and right, do not believe in the "minimum wage" - like me.

Why is Pelosi exempting America Somoa from her hike in the minimum wage? And why not just make it [$place whatever number you think it should be here]?

Like r v. wade, imo, just politics here too - i believe r v. wade is a States rights issue like Gay marriage.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jan 30 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]382898[/snapback]</div>
    If either one of the parties would do the right thing, rather than the politically profitable thing, this would be a better country.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 30 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]382927[/snapback]</div>
    we agree

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan, 12:00 PM) [snapback]382927[/snapback]</div>
    This is the reason I don't support Hillary and only voted for Kerry because he was the better of 2 evils. Both gave Bush the power to go to war with Iraq because it was the popular thing to do, not because it was the right thing to do. There are many in the party though who did not support the war. So, you have to look at the individual, not just the party they belong to.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jan 30 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]382945[/snapback]</div>
    Sure not popular now - i guess we must agree - here we have the dems and some repubs swaying with the breeze - no convictions of personal thought or belief - that is why i could not vote for kerry or gore - they have NO backbone - no black and white - they govern by polls. this is why i cannot vote for hilary - ever - i would rather someone be right or wrong but not both - especially the President.