1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right fender area RPM rattle/buzz - FIXED

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lindguini, Apr 24, 2014.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That might work, but if it didn't, there's no backing it out. The rag-packing applies lots of pressure where as the foam would not put any pressure on the defective clip. Without actually seeing how that clip looks and works, I don't have a good answer.

2. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the fix. One rattle less. Now I need to figure it out the passenger seat noise.

3. boochi101

boochi101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any ideas what is causing the rattle coming under steering column? I think the steering column that wraps the column seems to be loose but i an not sure that is causing noise.

Thanks

iPad ?

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Any ideas what is causing the rattle coming under steering column? I think the steering column that wraps the column seems to be loose but i an not sure that is causing noise.

Thanks"

I've had that noise too. By separating the upper half from the lower half of the steering column shroud (pry apart carefully at the seam) you will see the upper half rests on the steering column by some plastic ridges. I put some sticky-backed felt over the steering column where those plastic ridges touch the steering column so now the ridges rest on felt. That stopped a vibration from that area.

5. rob_z11

rob_z11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the fix. It is quiet now. What a difference that little zip tie makes.

T0LTE ?

6. RL Prius

RL Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    know Original poster , lindguini , I don't know what to tell you. I bought my 2010 brand new in late 2009. This RPM related Buzzing noise been bother me from day 1. Phonixgrey had shared so much about his finding. I have complained about this many times to the dealer. They all said couldn't duplicated. Even with TSB released about this. They refused to honor the work. I was thinking about to do the TSB myself. It is just too much work involved. I was ready to sell the car. Others that don't have experience with this buzzing never know how annoying this is.

And two day ago, I saw your posting and did what you suggested. The buzzing noise was completely gone !!!. Who could have thought that the buzzing noise that came from passenger dash area was originated from the front. I really don't know how did you find it, but it works on mine!!!

Thanks for finding the problem and most importantly to share it here. PM me your paypal account, I would like donate you a little as my appreciation. I am so happy about the buzzing noise are gone !!!

7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My buzz is still there, unfortunately. Heard it yesterday morning while starting out to work.

8. lindguini

lindguini Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's great news, RL Prius. I'm glad I could pass along a simple fix that restores some peace and quiet to your drive. I wish it could work for everyone but clearly some of these "buzzes" are still elusive.

9. zanyguy

zanyguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the zip tie fix, and the noise is gone. Thank you very much for the sharing.

10. My590L

My590L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2014. Just noticed this buzzing this week from this area. It has been really warm here, and I've noticed the buzz after the car has been sitting in the sun all day and when I first get in, start the car up, and drive. It seems that after the car warms up and I have the a/c on, the buzz goes away. I will try this zip tie tonight and see if the buzz goes away when I drive home tomorrow after the car has been sitting all day.

11. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did the fender fix before I saw this tsb. I opened the fender lining/hood/door and looked for the noise. I finally found the noise from the top fender bolt (by the windshield) and insert rubber piece in between before tightened it down. I also found the fender protector was loose, all 3 fastener were broken. Since I didn't any fastener, I just used the same ones and put it back. It was quiet for one day but the creaking is back but not as loud. Now I am not sure if it is the fender clips (as in the TSB, which I didn't touch) or the protector became loose again. I want to do the tsb myself but not sure how to remove/reinstall the fixed window. Is it just simply glued to body? and what kind of glue? Can these fender clips be reached by hand? so we can put some silicon glue on them, assuming the noise is actually coming from the loose clips, not by loose metal to metal.

Thx for any tip

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't glue the liner, asking for trouble. You always want to be able to remove things. Unfortunately those *%J*'ing fasteners can be expensive. Sometimes aftermarket will work, but sometimes not so good.

13. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I meant the fixed window. It needs to be removed as mentioned in the TSB. As for the fasteners, if you use the right tools, you can save most of them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am looking for that answer as well.

15. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what I've been reading, it seems there are 2 clips at top and rear corner and 1 hook at the bottom. Use piano or similar to cut the glue and sounds like the clips, too but I will try not to cut the clips. And use urethane adhesive to re-install. The popular one is 3M Windo Weld, or something like that.

16. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you can take pictures while working on that area that will be great.

17. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After reading tons of thread and watch the videos, I am beginning to think my noise is not the same. Mine is like a creaking sound that start during acceleration and also when coming to stop. It never happens when cruising or turning. I'll try to tighten down the fender protector (a large piece of plastic that acts like a spacer between the fender and the body, can be seen from the wheel well, after the lining removed) again to see if the noise goes away before committing on removing the little window. But If I do, I'll take pics.

18. nedim

nedim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How are you planning to tighten that plastic between the fender and body?

19. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's very accessable with the fenfer lining removed, all three fasteners.

20. Bency

Bency New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my car used 2.5 years ago, and had the vibration problem since day 1. I had tried googling the problem a few times, but until a few days ago I guess I was using the wrong terms. When I found this thread a few days ago it was a revelation. I added the zip tie and stuffed the rabbit holes with rags today, and from my initial drive it sounds like the vibration gone! Hopefully it stays that way. Major shoutout to phoenixgreg and lindguini! You guys rocks!

phoenixgreg likes this.