1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right hand drive conversion on a Prius v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by ruralrouter, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ruralrouter

ruralrouter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought this v (lowercase v) to use on my mail route. I thought I could get by with moving the center console back and just reaching over to the pedals with my left foot. It was just not going to work driving 6 hours a day like that. Then I checked into the pedal only conversions that use cables to pull the gas and brake pedals. That didn't sound too safe with cables possibly breaking, then I would have no control to stop. I just had Postalthings in Cleveland TN install this rhd conversion. It isn't quite as comfortable as the factory rhd cherokee I have been using, but I think it will work fine and be safe to control the car. I was hoping to be able to use the Prius as a Family car too, on the right, I am 6'1", so they had to move the seat back 5" since the pedals on the floor take up a lot of space, this took up some valuable leg room back there. I think the Family will be able to get in there if I remove the mailtray (only one bolt). I'll try it on the route for the first time tomorrow, I can't wait to see what I get for mpg. The jeep cherokee got 10-12mpg, I'm hoping for 30+
    Scott
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Looking good Scott. See you and the buggy tomorrow.
    Postalthings needs some competition though.

Two days on route 4 in the 90's with the AC going full blast and I'm at 28MPG

3. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I could get one from toyota with factory rhd

4. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First day on the route with the new car, went w/o air cond. The computer showed 37.2mpg, I checked at the pump and calculated 32.8. Kinda hard to be sure of the correct level in the tank when filling it and a small difference could change the result, but still, over 30 and I'm very happy.

5. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Without AC? well I won't say it... LOL

I increased my 28 average slightly today.

What did you get on the drive home?

6. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I do OK w/o ac. I've been getting around 46 (indicated) driving to and from town. I'll try with ac to see what a diff it makes. Just figured the #'s, if gas is 3.70, I'll save about $370/ month!

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No experience with them personally, but did a bbb online check and came back nothing, (usually a good sign.) Could check with them once in a while. I didn't see a v available as of now...

www.sbtjapan.com

8. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You can't get them titled in the US, Toyota would have to do a crash test series I think it's five cars and that ain't happening.
    You can only bring in cars that have been tested older Accord wagons, cherokees a few others. Or they have to be 25 years old.

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    RHD UK model [​IMG]
    a lot less messy ;0)

10. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll keep wishing for the factory rhd model. For now, I'll have to settle for the conversion.
    Scott

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    driver airbag unnecessary?

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not? Isn't it just the same car? How much does the crash test cost and how many postal workers are there that would want an economical RHD car? Surely the old Jeeps are now well past their prime.

13. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I did the research a while ago. It's US government rules, no way around them. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is a mirror image of a LH that has been tested. There are a bunch of subtle LH vs RH issues that need to be dealt with even after the crash tests are done. Only shops with a current authorization letter for each exact model can import RH vehicles, alter them to match US specs, and get them titled.
    The only real exception is vehicles more than 25 years old.
    From the USPS web site;

213,881 — number of vehicles — the largest civilian fleet in the world
    1.2 billion — number of miles driven each year by letter carriers and truck drivers
    LLVs;
    Grumman LLV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were first delivered in 1987 the newest ones were delivered in 1994.
    Rural Carriers that aren't assigned LLV's drive whatever they can afford to buy and maintain, to get the job done.
    The post office basically has a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding POVs (privately owned vehicles).

14. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was not happy about removing the airbags, but it just wasn't feasible for this shop to rewire and re-use the existing air bag in the steering wheel. I make sure to wear the seatbelt at all times, and the right hand seat is setback 5 inches.
    Scott

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I thought this was true too, but on the Monroney for our '10 CTS-V it says not crash test rated. 1st model year for the CTS-V is '09...

16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I know some years ago US and UK air bags were different sizes.

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you're still right. Aren't the US ones bigger to allow for the drivers not wearing a seat belt and that they're more likely to have a erm, fuller figure. Saying that, I think (or is that fear) that we're catching them up on that latter part.

Or maybe it's just some European cars that have the smaller airbags and 'world' cars such as the Prius have the full size version? Only one way to check and I don't intend finding out. :eek:

kithmo likes this.
  18. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sure wish I could have talked to you before you installed the RHD. We have 2 Prius v's on mail routes in our office. All we did was remove the center console and install pedal extenders on the left side (about $150). Works and drives like a dream and the car is still 100% functional for family (less a couple of drink holders and a little storage space). Personally there's no way I would be without my airbags, on or off the route.

I'm driving most days between 5 and 6 hours with my leg over the center to reach the pedals on the left. With the pedal extenders it's a piece of cake and quite comfortable. I covered the center area with foam rubber and a piece of vinyl over that to match the interior color, and it looks great. The lower glove box stays closed with all my junk in it, and the upper glove box works great for a huge handful of DPS letters at a time. For normal driving the pedal extenders cause me to have the left seat farther back than normal but not overly so - not enough that another driver notices anything different. Normal driving I'm making between 47 and 52 MPG. Route w/o air conditioning is 38 MPG and 33 MPG with air in these hot 90+ degree days.

19. crabbynix

crabbynix New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius C, would this work for me? and how do I go about doing this? I am scheduled to go to postal things to do the conversion next week, but am not happy about losing the buttons on my steering wheel that access the dashboard.

20. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drove Buicks from the right side for 20 years, I got a herniated disk after 15 years, I can't go back to driving like that. With your left foot on the brake, and then stretching to reach a box really gets to your body after a while. On the other hand, if I get in a head-on accident, my legs will probably get banged up or broken from contact with all the extra metal from the conversion. It seams to me the Prius C has a more permanent full console that has the shift lever in it, the V just has a storage compartment and the drive mode switches in it, and the shifter is on the dash. Postal things was able to mount the steering wheel controls for the trip and odometer, they did not reinstall the cruise control stick, or the other control,(radio?). I'm happy with it after 3 months, it is basically just a route vehicle that runs a few errands. Mileage is 38-33 on a 80 mile route with 560 stops. I was able to get as high as 45, but that was just too much monitoring and driving kinda slow. I have not had it in any snow yet, but have 4 snow tires mounted on rims ready to bolt on when the snow flies.
    Scott