1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right hand drive conversion on a Prius v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by ruralrouter, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm amazed it's even legal - do cars have to pass safety inspection where you are?

2. ruralrouter

ruralrouter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are no inspections here. I believe the conversion is safer overall than driving it from the right with no conversion. I have much better control than trying to use the left hand controls from the right seat.
    Scott

dixiemailcarrier and ftl like this.
  3. Speedy MamaJ

Speedy MamaJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have started looking to import a Factory RHD. Glad I was linked to this thread, it will save me some time. A girl in our office has a C and is getting 45-50 mpg. When you purchased your V, was it new with warranty? I am being told with the lifetime warranty, if anything is altered (conversion kit) it will void the warranty. Toyota should definitely give Jeep some competition on RHD. There are so many of us carriers going to the Prius for the mpg, I think it would definitely benefit them and us.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many RHD's are actually sold in the US in a year?

If it's in the thousands, then it would probably make sense for Toyota to put a RHD through compliance. Effectively the Euro car complies other than on paper. Same car, same crash worthiness, same emissions.

5. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I should check into the warranty. I asked the salesperson if the warranty would cover me if I used it as a delivery vehicle and he said yes they have other carriers using them and taxi services as well. I did not tell them about the conversion.
    Scott

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Subaru has sold RHD Legacies (assembled in Lafayette, IN) for years, primarily for letter carriers.
    Perhaps they don't anymore.

[Edit: They stopped this in 1999--my mistake]

7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just came upon this post tonight. I have been delivering mail in a Prius since 2007 (from the right hand side). I was eager to 'upgrade' when the Prius v came out in 2012. Right after I test drove the vehicle, I was told that I would be assigned an LLV. Never made the purchase. Looking to transfer to an office closer to home and would go back to a POV. How did you modify the console? I was told back in 2012 that the unit could not be partially disassembled due to the EV buttons mounted on the console near the cupholder. Has the design changed since then? Please give details! You'd help a lot of your fellow rural carriers!

8. Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really nice. I bought a prius 3rd gen and I am a mail carrier down in FLorida. I came close of converting my prius to right hand drive just couldn't do it. I instead converted my 92 Honda accord into a right hand drive and I am getting about 18 to 19 mpg. I did have a right hand drive Jeep wrangler 2006 which I sold nothing but maintenance on the garbage of a car. The Honda just general maintenance every once in a while low cost best decision I have made. The jeep got only 14 miles to the gallon and was expensive to fill it up. Way to go on the right hand prius. Once I get tired of the Honda I will buy a good V prius and do the same as you did. I really thought you would a least get close to 50 mpg on her.

9. raja

raja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    That conversion is quite amazing. I'm sure it is very functional.. No offense but yeegodz that is damned ugly with all those cables and pulleys sticking out. Probably prettier than a herniated disc though

10. TDRR

TDRR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Where did you get the pedal extenders?

11. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can't disagree with your opinion of the looks, but just a note, there are no cables with this conversion. I looked into a cable conversion kit, but heard a few nasty stories of the brake cable breaking at unfortunate times, like entering into an intersection at a red light.

raja likes this.
  12. cub412

cub412 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I joined this site just so I could ask you how's it going with the Prius on the route now? Did it work ok in the winter? How's the conversion going for you? Can you drive it from either side (in other words did they leave a steering wheel and accessible pedals on both sides?) My route car is gone after over 20 years and now I'm driving the back-up and looking for a replacement. I've looked at Subaru but the Prius is calling my name. Hope I'm not asking too many questions but it's hard to find somebody with actual route experience with the Prius. Thanks for answering.

edit to add oops I see your pics now (I guess NoScript suppressed them before) so I know you can't drive it from either side.

13. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    cub14, I am happy with it. As stated before, it's not as nice to drive as a real factory built rhd. There have been 0 problems with the kit, it's built heavy and strong. As for driving in winter, we had one of the worst winters last year, I never had to use my back-up chevy blazer one day. I mounted 4 continental extreme winter contact snow tires and they worked great on snow and ice. The only limiting factor would be deep snow that would lift the car off the ground. I will admit that I passed a few buried boxes that I may have driven my cherokee of blazer into.

gggGary likes this.
  14. cub412

cub412 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey thanks for answering. Glad to hear it did well in the snow and the winter conditions.
    I was wondering....it seems like I read somewhere that when you are stopped like at a stop sign (or a mailbox) that the engine shuts off? Is that correct? That would be a big deal for me since I'm used to driving the manual transmission and can put it in neutral at the mailbox so I don't wear out the brakes nearly as quickly as my coworkers with the automatic transmissions on non-hybrid cars. If that's true on the Prius, then you aren't going through brakes very quickly either, are you?
    Are you still able to get all the big packages in at this time of the year? I've never seen so many big packages in all my life!
    Thanks for answering.

15. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are right the engine shuts off when you are stopped, in fact, it will usually shut off if you are going 43 mph or less if you let off the gas. I am almost at 35000 miles and still on my first set of pads from the factory, they have not been changed yet. As for room, I deliver and pick up quite a few pkgs, I have only had to make a 2nd parcel run once that I can remember in the last year, that was during my route inspection with the PM in the back seat. There were days last year in December when I had assistance, I would not have fit it all in on those days. It has more room than the Cherokee it replaced. I did pull both back seats out on Sunday because I have been coming close to the space limit several times lately. That opened up a lot of extra room.
    Scott

Chazz8 likes this.
  16. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I sub Scotts route with my 05 and haven't run out of room.... yet but I know the clock is ticking. No parcel assistance for a sub. The other route I run has loops that come back within a couple miles of the PO. A few days a year I come back and load "the rest of the parcels".

17. ruralrouter

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is pretty much my max capacity with the rear seats removed. I could not see out the back window until I delivered a large parcel about 20 minutes into the route. This is the day after Veterans Day 2014. There were about 15 large flat rate boxes for 1 customer that I could not take, Gary did you end up taking them out?
    Scott
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dixiemailcarrier likes this.
  18. gggGary

gggGary gggGary

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Sure did scott, even picked up his outgoing...
    Kris called tonight asking about an express on W??? gulp!
    I did 3 expresses this afternoon in the van then swapped back to the Prius before going to help Sandy.....
    I love my days off!

19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As the RHD and LHD cars are identical (other than steering wheels :) ), is there any reason why Toyota or someone else doesn't get type approval on a RHD car and then happily sell them to the tens of thousands of postal workers?

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All the lights meet European standards rather than SAE standards. It would need to be a US exterior with an English interior. Then I am unsure about the gauges.