1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right-rear tire locks and skids during braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by landsnapper, May 15, 2012.

1. landsnapper

landsnapper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I bought a used 2005 Prius in early February, and have driven about 7,000 miles so far.

Yesterday, I noticed an issue with the braking. When the traditional brakes (non-regenerative) kick in when approaching a full-stop the right-rear tire completely locks up, and skids. The weather has been wet the past two days, but the issue is severe enough that the resulting vibrations feel like they may tear the car apart.

There are no warning lights aside from the skid light, so I assume there'll be no code for a mechanic to easily identify this problem.

Has anyone had any experience with a problem of this nature? I'm worried if it's not easy to pin down, this may be a huge expense, and if so, I'll have to hold off awhile, and find some other mode of transportation.

Thanks!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never heard of this before.

Are all the tires matching or is one of a different size and/or model? Does the same problem repro if you brake in Neutral? When in N, there's no regen.

3. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles ago were the brakes last replaced? If you don't know then you need to have a dealer take the tire off and take a look around.

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm, would be the first rear brakes replaced in a prius I bet, the question I'm pondering is: what happened to the abs,and stability control, red lights should be going off on the dash, if someone circumvented the abs systems the water in Denmark has a leak...err, whodathunk.
    Is the wheel brake adjustment to tight? Jack it up and turn the wheel.

5. landsnapper

landsnapper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The tires are all matching, and were put on when I bought the car 7,000 mi ago.

I could only seem to get it into neutral by putting it into reverse, accelerating to a pretty quick speed, then shifting to what would B if I was in D. I couldn't get there any other way... Never needed it!

In neutral the problem is not as bad, just a squealing, and significantly more braking pressure from the right rear wheel. Of course, I could only get to a certain speed in reverse before shifting to neutral.

This confuses me though, because I have been able to nurse through the 3 mile drive to work today by using exclusively regenerative braking, as there's no issue. However thats obviously not very safe for a long haul. The original problem only manifests when coming to a complete stop, or slamming on the brakes.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you just need to have the rear brakes inspected. The brake shoes may need to be replaced, possibly the right-side drum as well. Your local Toyota dealer could handle that, or any brake shop.

7. landsnapper

landsnapper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't know when the brakes were last replaced. I have a carfax that was up-to-date when I purchased the car, and it appears to have been primarily dealer-serviced. The brakes were "checked" at 110k. All the other service appears to have been routine maintenance and checks at regular intervals. There are a few "vehicle serviced" so who knows if they were replaced then.

Its definitely something I'll have to check out. I do have a question. I'm a musician, not a car guy… if the brakes needed replaced, wouldn't the stopping power be less? It seems to me, knowing little-to-nothing about it, that it would be some sort of electrical malfunction in whatever communicates the brake-pedal press to the wheels. That's why I didn't just take it right to my mechanic… I was worried it'd be something he hasn't dealt with, since he rarely sees a hybrid. But I could be overthinking it...

Thanks all for your help so far.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An abnormal surface on the brake shoe or drum, such as glazing, would result in abrupt braking action. If you don't have confidence that your mechanic can deal with the problem, then just take your car to your local Toyota dealer.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks.

To shift to neutral, you need to hold the stick in that position for a few seconds.

10. landsnapper

landsnapper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take it to him first, and give him the benefit of the doubt. He's always been good to us, and he'll give an honest opinion about whether it's something he can track down and/or do. If not, I'll take to the dealer. Thanks for your help! I'm glad it may be simpler than I thought. It was a little startling since it occurred so suddenly, and didn't just gradually get worse. Thanks again!

11. landsnapper

landsnapper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well gee… that explains a lot. I got so frustrated, I even checked the manual, and there's no mention of that… Thanks for the tip, that's good to know!

12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a grabbing problem with the rear brakes on my '04 Prius. The dealer fixed it by cleaning and adjusting them. I would do as others have suggested and get the brakes inspected. Your mechanic could take a look, and if he didn't want to tackle the job, you could then go to the dealer.