1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right Side Steering Wheel AC Controls Not Working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baby Prius, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Baby Prius

Baby Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replaced a part (salvage) and it is still not working even with wheels turned. All the functions on MFD is working and also the left side steering wheel controls like volumes and Auto A/Cs are all working. I'm debating if I should return the salvage part and try another button unit or replace the clock spring first. Is there anyway I can tell which is causing the buttons to not work? Could it just be a fuse issue? If so, how do I test and repair? Also how much is clock spring? And how hard is it to install them compared to the button unit? Lastly, does whole steering wheel assembly (like 2004-2009 TOYOTA PRIUS STEERING WHEEL WITH BUTTONS C#9 /22 | eBay) come with clock spring? Thank you

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can use a wiring diagram (there's one in the Library section of this forum) to test the button unit you bought. It's a resistor matrix, only three pins as I remember.

Then you can try the clockspring. You have to pull the wheel, which means basic SRS safety and awareness. No special tools needed beyond a Torx driver for the airbag, and less than an hour's work the first time and fraction of that the second time. When removed, the clockspring can be tested for continuity.

If you have VSC, pay attention to the extra step of transferring the steering sensor to the new clockspring if you get one. It's a few clips and a minute or two.

If you order a new cable, be sure to use your VIN to get the exact part number. Don't trust the compatibility check on auction sites.

valde3 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might be able to test the clockspring without pulling the wheel off. You still need the SRS safety and awareness, but once the airbag is off, you can see the wheel-end clockspring connectors. To get to the column-end clockspring connectors, you do need to get the steering column shrouds off. In Gen 3 you can do that for sure without pulling the wheel (you just need to turn it back and forth to be able to reach both of the shroud claws to release them). I would hope it's that easy in Gen 2, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, once you have access to the connectors on both ends of the clockspring, you just refer to the diagram and test continuity between the corresponding pins on both ends.

If it needs to be replaced, you do need to pull the wheel to do that. M8x1.25 is the proper thread for the wheel puller bolts.

-Chap

4. GambagirlICT

GambagirlICT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But is it possible this is just a fuse issue? Like the original poster, left side buttons work, and functions in the MFD work also.

How would I know the clock spring needs to be replaced? Car seems to be as I would expect. No unusual behavior.

I just had my 2008 in the shop to check the A/C. Compressor is bad so I won't be replacing. The shop swears they wouldn't have had to touch anything having to do with the steering wheel buttons so this degradation may be coincidental.

5. GambagirlICT

GambagirlICT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And which fuse, if it might be that? Found a diagram and none of the descriptions seem likely.