1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims and Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by marcovi, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Joel

Joel New Member

Geezus "Bling Bling Bob" ! You got the chrome action, that's for sure.

Usually, mileage is effective by the wider, stickier tires - they create more rolling resistance - but that's how they stick so well in the corners. The added rotating mass does make a difference but it isn't hard to find wheels lighter than the stock "JJ" rated wheels.

2. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey people,

got a few questions for the knowledged ones out there!

#1) i want to fill up the space between the tire and wheelwells WITHOUT lowering the car.......what is the biggest size rims and tires i can put on my 08 prius?..........also, i dont want the tires to rub in case i have guests in the car.

#2) if i am getting larger diameter rims and tires,,,,,,,,,,will i loose mileage?
    if i remember, larger diameter means better mileage on the top end right? meaning freeway driving.

INCIDENTALLY, i wont get rims that weight a ton, i'll spend the extra money for good quality, lightweight rims......maybe same or lower weight than stock.

thanks for the tech info!! have a great day:flame:

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #1 Most people use 17s although I think I read of someone having 18s but I cannot confirm that. I used 17s but swapped back to stock.

#2 Yes you will very likely lose mpg. You are not changing the overall diameter very much so there should be no effect on the speedometer or in top end vs low end power if you "plus size" your rim/tire combo correctly and you stay close to the stock combo weight. If you go too heavy your acceleration and braking will suffer, if you go lighter then your milage will likely go up, braking and acceleration #s will go down (a good thing).

This is what 17"s look like on a Prius with correct plus sizing (it did not change overall diameter much)
    [​IMG]

4. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota of Hollywood specializes in selling the Prius with 18" aftermarket wheels. The had a handful in the showroom with Katana Stage wheels. They looked really really good. I wish I had a picture. I looked on their website to see if they had any pics, but they didn't. If you go onto their website you will find the 18" wheels as a $1500 option under "build your own" section.

You might give them a call and see what sized wheels they are using. Oh, and that is Hollywood, California.

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you people!

it's saturday night...............cheers!

:drum:

6. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey, maybe the 18" wheels on my Porsche will work?? At 18X10 with 285/30 tires they may stick out a little ways from the fender.;)

7. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You will probably just need to roll the fenders a bit. :D

8. cruz_vegas

cruz_vegas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With 18's on the Prius is there an issue of how much weight you can then have in the car before the wells rub up against the tires? Sorry if this is a dumb question? :confused:

9. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You would think so. I asked about it with the dealer in Hollywood and they said no rubbing issues. That is why I would call them and ask them the size of wheel/tire they use.

10. MousseKnuckles

MousseKnuckles New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    please post back when you find out more about the wheel/tire combo that those Hollywood stars are running. Also if anyone is in the area to take a pic that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind these Hollywood stars are not likely tracking mpg changes and I am willing to put money down that they are losing a significant amount of efficiency with these large, heavy wheel/tire combos. :)

12. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just because they are from Hollywood Toyota, doesn't mean they are being sold to Hollywood Stars. Anyway, here are the pics. Oh, and it looks like they are using 225/40 R18's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. MousseKnuckles

MousseKnuckles New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the post Steamboat! That last set of photos sure shows off those nice big meaty discs, who needs brembos!

Cheers!

14. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lol!

I went on the Paramount Studio lot today for my birthday so I figured I would stop by Hollywood Toyota and snap a few pics of their Prii with 18's.

On the Paramount Studio lot, there were Bentleys, AMG Benz's, Land Rover HSC's, Porsches, and about 20 Priuses. Lol.

15. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is what Hollywood Toyota charges for their upgrades.
    "Wood" more like wood looking plastic.
    "18' wheels" wow, those are some big wheels!!! You will definetely get tire rub with 18 foot wheels.
    [​IMG]

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my tires are 215/45/17. my outside diameter is .03% from the stock outer diameter. I don't see 225/40/18's being the same size. they look good.. but that's a bit different...

Tire size calculator it's really not all the much bigger. i hope they are light. It's going to be a rough ride. My tires give me an extremely grippy ride. I didn't know 225's would even fit. I would hope for a deep-dish mounting (greater offset) so the tire sticks out and doesn't degrade my suspension.

mine for example:

[​IMG]

17. kormaster

kormaster Junior Member

Looks like they make a lot of money on those dealer "upgrades".. never cease to amaze me. :confused:

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was being sarcastic with the use of "Holywood Stars" but I should have added the quotations to clarify. ;)

My statement still stands regarding the dop in fuel milage. :)