1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims for snow tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JHarris535, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JHarris535

JHarris535 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got to get some snow tires, and I assume I'll need some new rims to mount them on. This raises a few questions:

First, how does one manage the tire pressure sensor on the snow-tire rims? I'd priced some duplicates, and they seemed extremely expensive. Do you just do without the sensor? If so, does some setting need to be adjusted?

Second, what are the specifications on such rims? Can you recommend an affordable (ie, non-new) way to go about getting them?

Third, can anyone recommend affordable, studded snow tires?

Thanks!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need to put the TPMS sensors on winter wheels unless you really want to. Nothing bad will happen. :)

Search eBay and the Classifieds section of this forum for used GenII and GenIII OE wheels for sale. You can often find them for $200-$300 for a nice set. You can also purchase wheels from places like TireRack.com and DiscountTire.com. If you purchase the wheels and tires at the same time from one of those retailers you will save on the mounting/balancing and shipping costs.

The wheels should be 15x6 or 15x7 with a +40mm to +45mm offset.

I see at least one set of snow tires and wheels for sale in the Classifieds section. If they are local to you they seem like a good deal.

Fubar1764 likes this.
  3. JHarris535

JHarris535 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great information! Thanks!