1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims / Wheels 15 inch stock oem size replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Jul 7, 2018.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay
    I am considering purchasing from TIRE RACK the following replacement
    with Enkei rims J10 15 inch with hardware going for $109....

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=40956502BML&wheelMake=Enkei%20Performance&wheelModel=J10&wheelFinish=Black%20w%2FMach%20Lip&showRear=no&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Prius&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Does anyone have firsthand experience driving on these?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    never used them, but enkei makes decent wheels, and those aren't too heavy so it shouldn't kill your mileage. nice looking wheels. run a 205 or 215 tire that's just a tad taller than the oem's and you'll get a better speedo calibration too. speedo always reads high with the 185's.

NortTexSalv04Prius and SFO like this.
  3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay I am not sure I am completely understanding your post stock tires are 185/65/15 that I do understand.....however from your response you are saying that the indicate speed on inst display would be more accurate with wider tire like 205 width/15 radius or 215 width / radius15.....65 aspect ...this accuracy is based on said rotation of said 15 rim /wheel with a 1 percent accuracy disposition. ….so not sure where taller and or aspect if that is the correct term comes in play with your reference....

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He's assuming you know a little bit about tires, what to do when changing widths, and the relationship of the first parameter to the second on a tire spec.

Use a tire converter (or calculator) tool (you should be able to find one on tire rack) or google to find a calculator. Then plug in 185 (width), 65 (height ratio) and 15 (wheel size) into the appropriate boxes of the current tire parameters. Plug in 205 (or 215) into new width and 15 into new wheel size and the calculator will tell you the new height ratio (or 2) with the + or - difference (of each) when compared to the current tire.

As the height ratio is a percentage of the width (65 means that the sidewall is 65% of the tire's width), it will need to be changed as you change the width to maintain the correct overall diameter. Usually, you would decrease the height ratio as the width increases.

Hope that is clear.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My sense: using the stock tire size, everything except the speedo will be reasonably accurate, ie: the car's "gearing" is per spec, and the odometer will be close to reality.

The speedometer reading a bit high is intentional, there's some legislation involved, the intent being to never tell the driver he's going slower than actual, to err on the side of caution.

For anyone really in a lather of the speedometer "error", all you have to do is speed a little, lol.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is correct, it is intentional and it is legislated. But the intent is to never have the driver going over the speed indicated by the speedometer taking into account things like tire wear, so it intentionally displays a speed that is lower than the actual speed. The differential is different in each country.

For example, in the UK a speed reading of 77 mph is actually 70 mph; here in NZ a speed reading of 102 km/h is actually 100 km/h. In the UK, the "correction" is a percentage (22 mph = 20 mph; 33 mph = 30 mph; 55 mph = 50 mph; etc); Here it is a straight shift – indicated speed - 2 km/h = actual speed.

These observations were both in Gen 2 Prius. Obviously it varies by jurisdiction.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I find our speedo fairly close: there's occasionally electrified sign posts reading/displaying vehicle speeds, and I'd find if the speedo is displaying 52 the sign post might say 50.

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    stock size tires all seem to have lousy traction compared to the 205/60R15 yokos and Michelins I had before I got my 16" wheels. 205/60 is a little taller than the 185/65's. and I still got 50mpg in the summer.