1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ring ring bike bell for silent running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hawaiiguide, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawaiiguide @ Oct 24 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]529998[/snapback]</div>

Let us know if you get any pedestrians to genuflect as you drive by.

2. pviebey

pviebey New Member

I'd suggest looking for the instructions I posted on replacing the horns in the car, it has instructions on how to get down in there. I'd just do in between the grill and the radiator, (there's room and even a bracket with a hole in it).

OTOH, I put the life-span of this at about a week, due to either water exposure or heat, since it just isn't designed to deal with that intensive an environment...

Good luck!

pat

3. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pviebey @ Oct 26 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]530815[/snapback]</div>

Pat, you are right of course. Thanks for the tip. We don't think about evironmental factors here in Waikiki. We get very little rain etc.

rj

4. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like the idea, but I think the ideal would be that the Prius make the sound of George Jetson's space car anytime it's going under about 15 mph in stealth mode. I know, harder to implement, but we can all dream.

Edit: OK, maybe you never saw the show to know the sound. Here's a sample:
    http://www.dailywav.com/0999/jetcar.wav

5. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You guys are weird. I feel right at home here. :D

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the carparts shops here, REPCO have a door bell which sounds like a modified V8, might need one for the Prius!! It can be set to play other sounds, I wonder if it had Green Sleeves on it? That will confuse the kids.

7. heyrob

heyrob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What would you think of placing a small, wireless doorbell under the hood (way up front and away from hot engine parts) and sticking the doorbell button on the dash? It would be just enough to let pedestrians and bicyclers know you're there.

Just a thought.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you guys are seriously thinking of the door chime units.. try hardwiring them in. With moderate use and the system baking in the car.. under the hood.. .it won't last long.. not to mention the battery casing wasn't designed to be tossed around while going down the road... so tape it up.. or .. hardwire it :)

I wouldn't use doorbells... too many people use them. *shrug*

I like the bike bell tied into a motor idea... maybe i'll make something up.

now i just need to find parts.... again....

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is just a joke right? I have been driving my car for 3.5 years and we have some seriously full parking lots with people wandering all over the place and I have never had a problem. If I notice someone who appears to be unaware of my car I barely tap the horn so it gives out a barely audible beep and they are aware of my presence as I acknowledge their presence. Adding a door bell is just out of the question.

10. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was thinking the same thoughts and I came up to the same conclusion as Cairo.

If I cannot watch out for pedestrians, it's my fault.

How many times has a pedestrian inadvertently crossed my path from not paying attention WHEN I was driving a normal truck....way too many times to count.
    How many have I hit? None.
    How many did I WANT to hit? A few.

Pedestrians (people) need to get their head out of ....... (fill in the blanks) and drivers need a hands free law to keep them off the handheld cell phones.

Adding to the road noise pollution is not the answer.
    Attentive drivers and pedestrians is.

(On another note, a few hybrids wearing some form of pedestrian protection is okay by me, but mutiply that, eventually, by Millions and I have a problem with that. The noises will drive me crazy.)

ZC1

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a few pedestrians wonder into my car... it's really funny but remains to be a serious problem. I can't afford to have someone complain...

It's pretty funny too... i like the idea of any real small bell.. cow bells are cool too. :)

12. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :D Has anyone installed this? It seems to be sold out now, but I like the idea. The thumb operated bell would be great too if we could figure out a servo unit to activate it.

Back in the CB radio days, mine had a jack to plug in an external speaker. It didn't take long for my gadget mind to figure out that I could run a wire to a small weather-proof loudspeaker just behind the grill. I had a lot of fun with that using my voice from the CB microphone and could pipe in via my tape player any sound I could find. The "PA" solution could be our answer for the "sneaking-up-on-you" problem.:rockon:

13. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That was a mini cooper ad stunt, when I first saw it a few years ago it was available for sale. Never saw or heard of anyone actually getting it, every time I think about it I go back and laugh for a few minutes. *honka* *honka*

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I have wads of money I no longer want. I'll get one.