1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rio Olympics

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Aug 9, 2016.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Ah, flight. Whet a thing. There were many excellent attempts, which we now treat, wrongly as 100% Wright brothers.

I think they merit praise for having been more organized about it than others. They (first and best) figured out that how a propeller ought to be shaped.

Meanwhile, wing warping turned out to be a goofy idea. Ailerons (as seen on Brazilian 14 bis, etc.) were the 'right' way, and Wrights spent years (decades) trying to sue everybody about that. A case could be made that they held the entire field back, after their auspicious efforts.

Ah but whaddayagonnado?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like apple. and probably true at the beginning of every enterprise. i think i read the same thing about sewing machines.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Glenn Curtiss is generally recognized as an aggrieved party here. There was a lot of dithering until WWI highlighted the need to just get on with it. US govt. more or less shut down Wright bros' trolling (I wish for a more apt term here).

But we yearn for simple stories and heroes. And so it goes.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    steve jobs, walt disney, henry ford, george westinghouse, you can't make a cake without breaking a few legs...

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius