1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rip-off attempt by dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by English Gentleman, Nov 15, 2015.

1. English Gentleman

English Gentleman New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Love my new Prius. I live at 8000 feet and it gets cooooold some winter nights, so I decided after reading some threads here to buy and fit an engine block heater from Prius Chat Shop. It arrived, I looked under the hood and decided to get a professional to do the job.

Mistake!

I paid them $340 to fit it. Ouch.

The next morning, the car wouldn't start. "Stop vehicle and check hybrid system." Towed to Desert Sun Toyota Alamogordo. Next day, service manager:

"Your engine block heater has melted the wiring loom. As you supplied the part, it isn't covered under warranty. Estimate $1600 to repair."

Ouch!

So, I go and have a look. I happen to have a degree in mechanical engineering from Leeds University. A short examination revealed what they had done. The utter buffoon who fitted the heater had dropped the wire in, pulled it tight, pulling a wiring loom over the heater element, causing the loom to melt when the heater was on. The heater was working perfectly. I pointed this out to the engineers but they refused to accept it.

I took photos, called a lawyer, and spent a week going in and cross-examining the engineers and dealership manager. Eventually they realized they were not going to get away with it, gave up trying to lie to me and re-fitted my heater properly. It works perfectly and my Prius is back on the road. Nice and warm in the cold mornings.

Had I been less educated or determined to fight these charlatans, I would have been ripped off.

Be careful out there folks! And steer clear of the absolute buffoons at Desert Sun Toyota Alamogordo.

I wouldn't trust them to change the oil. I'm going to drive to El Paso for servicing.

ScottHz, Hasan, Tracksyde and 3 others like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you check Toyota Canada website, in the accessories: the block heater, supplied and installed, is a bit under $250, Canadian funds. So, yes, a rip.

We had the dealership install at time of purchase, before that price was on the website, and of course our dealership dinged us $400. At least they didn't screw it up.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch! Darn, you should have attended the 2GoB4 get together in the fall of last year up here in New England where there was a session under the tent where we were able to witness, observe, comment on, and even help (holding the flashlight) a block-heater (from ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe) installation, in real-time "before your very eyes!" - very well put together demonstration (and no wiring was melted in the demo, at the time, nor since (so I'm led to believe ;)) Sorry to hear of your experience, I would suggest you get a good lawyer or call in a favour, perhaps?

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad it worked out in the end. Saying they weren't liable for sloppy install because you supplied the part is garbage in the US court system. Glad Canada has similar standards. If the part failed and damaged your car (but not from improper install), they might have had a leg to stand on. That's why some places won't touch aftermarket parts they don't sell.

FWIW, I went to AMSOIL products many years ago (before 2000), not just for superior protection, but it doesn't start to gel until -70 F (I was living in Wyoming at the time). If it's that cold out, I don't need to be driving anywhere. All a block heater does is ensure your oil remains viscous at startup. Maybe other products other than AMSOIL will do this for you, but you can avoid the cost of a block heater and just use an oil that has a crazy low gel point.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An oil pan heater will do that, but a block heater's primarily heating the coolant. The Toyota block heater raises coolant temp by about 20C above ambient, in a couple of hours. The main plus for me, the car will be shutting down at red lights within a block or two. Or three, in our (west coast) winters.

English Gentleman and WilDavis like this.
  6. English Gentleman

English Gentleman New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I find the car warms much quicker, and gets the windshield defrosting much quicker.

I was wondering... If I accidentally leave the heater on, can damage be done to the element or the car? How long do you turn it on before use?

ScottHz likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Two hours is my usual goal. I think temps plateau a little sooner, then homogenize more, say in the last 1/2 hour. I've forgotten it and left it on for maybe 8 hours once, maybe twice. It was ok, I believe with a previous car a gross overuse sorta toasted the extension cord from the wall.

For early morning starts a timer is good.

ScottHz and English Gentleman like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rip off attempt by a dealership? c'mon man!:p