1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Rivian R1T Electric Pickup Truck Shocks World In LA Debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 26, 2018.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Read through Wikipedia about the company.

They have put forth other ideas that never came to fruition...
    "In 2011, Scaringe said the company had plans to release a car with cost in the mid-US$20,000 range and gas mileage of up to 60 miles per gallon.[Rivian planned to release its first production car in 2013, with other models following in 2014. These cars were never released."

For the truck they have a prototype.
    And some big funding from Saudi Arabia.
    They are taking deposits.
    Hopefully it won't be another fiasco or sham like Elio.

2. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Huh?
    I had a Ford 2.7 Ecoboost, it got 14, if I ran hi-test it got 17, never mentioned Toyota because it can't pull.

Until the Ram Ecodiesel the Ford Ecoboost was the highest MPG truck available,,,that could pull.

The Ram Ecodiesel will be sold in 19, Ford and GMC will also sell 3.0 diesels, and they will all tow well,

1/2 ton trucks are still 1/2 ton trucks, 3/4's ton trucks are still 3/4's ton trucks, dimensions vary.

The sooner a hybrid truck that can pull is offered the better, till then any of the 3.0 diesel 1/2 tons will do.

If the Rivian R1T shows, great, I'd rather it was geared for towing then a 3 second 0-60.

frodoz737 likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took $5 a gallon gas in 2006-7 and then a major tanking of the of the global economy, as well as bankruptcy for most US auto-makers in 2008 just to get them to wake up and realize they needed to at least make these pathetic MPG improvements.

And if Tesla can start pumping out 5,000 trucks a day in their new factories two years from now, the next downturn in the economy might wipe out Detroit auto maker's overleveredging of the trucks market entirely.

And a Rivian truck is far more of a Vaporware notion than a Tesla truck, now that Tesla is proving it can mass produce at scale... The manufacturing of Tesla Trucks is already coming on line starting with the largest big-rigs and eventually down to smaller size personal trucks. By every measure, they're years ahead of the competition.

Detroit's near exclusive focus on Trucks, is much like the GOP's exclusive focus on rural xenophobic white people. It'll work short-term, but long term it will be impossible to sustain because the growth of big cities with lots of diversity is what will drive our economy and politics in to the future. Rural poor white folks with way too much hate and way too much debt driving around in their upside down financed $50K shiny new junk trucks are part of the past, not part of the future.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    "By every measure, they're years ahead of the competition."

Let me know when they have factories enough to produce all the promised models they have prototypes for. Model Y, Pickup, Semi. Base model 3. next gen S and X. What else aren't they producing? Solar roofs in quantity? Large battery storage? I see them as verging on overextended. Love to see them succeed.

I've about bought two cars in the last half year. One was a Tesla the other a Honda. But the delivery, quality and service tales I see on the Tesla and Honda forums drown out the love letters. Kept my v. Don't really need to change, but bored and want a change. Just not willing until someone produces a total ownership experience that is worth spending my money on.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's never happened before, why let that stand in your way?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "Shocks the World" and I thought it was dry winter air and rubber soled shoes.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What percentage of those that had a great buying experience for Prius actually posted about it here? People without issues are less likely to take the effort to register and post on a forum.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a great buying experience buying from a Gen 1 Prius owner salesman 150 miles away. A very knowledgeable staff and I saved money.
    My local dealer is clueless and would not deal anywhere close to the price I got without much dealing. I lurked a while but registered here after I bought the Prius.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I lurked for awhile also, and that is probably most of the site traffic.

When researching cars, or anything, on forums, there could be a vocal minority effect with the negative posts.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ..... & tesla may have its small SUV on the road, & have announced their 300 mile range pick up. Someone better get busy.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah but a new ICE supercab Sled can easily top $60K.....! So this new EV P/U is certainly in range of the current crop of crap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, but the 60 large for a big 3 bro-dozer buys you a lot more: You get compatibility with a heap of accessories, you get repair availability from some of the largest dealer networks in the country, you get gear built for work- controls that you can operate with heavy work gloves on, and all the little breakable parts (think outside mirrors and trim) are built cheap and available everywhere.

Which plows can you attach to a Rivian? What about camper shells or work boxes? Slide-in campers? Where do you mail it for service?

I mean, I love the idea of an electric truck... and these guys seem to be doing ok on the electric part, but they need to start over on the truck part.

Trollbait and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  13. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great points, however here in Socal, they mostly buy trucks because they like that type of vehicle, with no real "truck" use. There are enough dummies buying P/U's for this reason to support the new EV P/U's. Sadly, I don't think anyone is going to sell EV P/U's until the major players get involved.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It ain’t just down south:cool:.

I see trucks up in Nor Cal that would never see service as a truck :(.

They even drop em low and take more space out of the bed to get em even lower:eek:.

So for their audience, they’ll get buyers(y).

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another option for the early adapters to shake out. Until the charging-time/logistics problems are fixed...it's just another narrow use compliance vehicle. Looks nice though.

HPrimeAdvanced and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was true, at least at first... But soon as they started rolling off the assembly sign engineers started taking them apart and reported that components were of an advanced military grade design (See: SpaceX relationship w/Tesla) that they had never seen in passenger cars before. So the lower price of the Model 3 wasn't achieved due to cheaper components, but due to reduced costs from mass production at scale.

HPrimeAdvanced, hill and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I meant it was supposed to be a lower cost design than the Model S.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, that's what I thought you were saying... Doesn't change the point of the lower cost not affecting quality. And not just quality, it has the highest safety rating ever too.

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure you understand what compliance vehicles are.

Trollbait and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The more I look and think about this vehicle, I think it may be our next purchase after the Model 3, unless the Model Y is 400+ miles with decent ground clearance, and preferably tow a little bit. Will be moving to South Dakota next year and may need to get through some deep snow sometimes. We would also like to buy a RV trailer at some point as well. Pretty amazing this thing has a ground clearance range from 8 inches (parked only I believe, otherwise a little higher), to 14 inches in off road mode. Not sure if that means you can't drive above a certain speed at that height, which is also fine for snow.

Raytheeagle likes this.