1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Rivian R1T Electric Pickup Truck Shocks World In LA Debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 26, 2018.

1. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think I saw that YouTube video.

Just funny how Elon Musk does things his way.... even if it is not efficient to prove his point. Those comments about unknown sheet metals on the car is so funny (and the heaviest trunk in its class). After hearing that, my holding in some Tesla stocks wish Tesla knew how to design a car chassis. That guy even said if Honda made the chassis for Tesla.... that is a scary thought..... good kind of scary.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    don't forget ericbecky's comment above how this EVpickup fly-by-night company has already failed to produce its former stuff. You would do better to sign up as one of Mr musk's 1st Martian colonists, then to presume these folks will ever produce at all. Don't forget, how many auto manufacturers have been successful at starting up in the past six or more decades? One? and the short'ers are still trying to sink it.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Hope they are successful. That will push Elon Musk off his a** to get his truck from being vaporware.

I agreed that they have a large hill to climb.... best to sit on your money until they officially hand the car over. Otherwise better just dumping into Tesla stocks until then.

To their credit, this product does look like almost production ready. With an old Mitsubishi plant in hand to start the production when ready.

Anyone know which VC funded them? Would not surprise me if it is one of the oil playa.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Supposedly it's one of the Middle East countries.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wasn't a you tube video though I'd like to see it if you have the link... I was referring to the engineers who wrote about what they found when they dismantled the drivetrain of a Model 3 and found military-grade materials / higher quality build than previous Teslas / an engineering first for passenger cars...

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wikipedia has info about the company's background.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    crown prince?

8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They have actually said they have a factory "almost ready", so i hope they`ll actually make it, ive never been a fan of Fisker and never been a fan of Faraday. But i really like Rivian and think they actually can compete with tesla, its also said Rivian will maybe work with tesla to take EV`s to a new level. I like the 7 seater more then the pickup tho lol, But yea, Marques (MKBHD) brought up alot of things thats concerning people tho. Especially one thing that annoys me... Tesla has all these superchargers, they r expanding rapidly in Europe and USA with 11 000 in US and 11 000 in EU, but no companies wants to collaborate with tesla to use them... Even tho tesla have said they want other car companies to also use their chargers. Thats a really stupid decision this company has also made... Imagine how much easier it wouldve been with multi-brand-chargers instead of ever brand having different chargin stations each... It would save money, time and space.

#48 MagnusAG99, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think we are talking about the same. The guy is owner of Munro and Associates. He did a series of YouTube videos of reverse engineering the 3.

I saw it on Autoline After Hours (search for Autoline after hours show dated on 4/19/18 ).... when he did a sit down with a lot of details in the show. He was wrong about Elon Musk and robots.... but certainly knows more about car making than in Elon Musk's brain. Very interesting show.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The other companies don't want to "pay" for it. So they rely on very expensive alternatives like EVgo and VW's Electrify America. But Tesla is doing something clever in the EU, a CCS adapter.

In effect Teslas will soon use the growing 3d party, fast DC chargers but still have exclusive use of the SuperCharger network. I think that is brilliant ... like the CHAdeMO adapter.

Bob Wilson

hill, Trollbait and mozdzen like this.
  11. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Coupled with the future Tesla Pickup, these two could put the big hurt on Ford and GM profits.
    It sounds like (reading the tea leaves) the serious volume ramp for both of them should start in ~3 yrs.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tip on the video (see below). I watched most all of it last night and it's definitely not the UBS analysis of which I was referring to. Here's the link to what I was talking about: Wall Street analysts were blown away by the Tesla Model 3's 'next-gen, military-grade' tech — and say that's why the base model will never turn a profit (TSLA) | Markets Insider

But I found the video you pointed out that spends 90min with Sandy Munro detailing his career of reverse engineering of cars for designers and parts makers fascinating. His view of Tesla is a classic auto industry perspective where he's partly astonished at how advanced the vehicle is and to greater extent how astonished he is with how poorly the manufacturing and assembly of the parts, which is something traditional automakers are much better at...

It's a bit of a surreal irony, seeing as Munro's career has been based on figuring out all the auto industry's design secrets via a rogue practice of disassembly and mapping in an incredibly detailed way. But now instead of being the industry outsider hacking his way into auto industry to help designers, with his Tesla analysis he comes across an insider of traditional auto makers.

Although I think the flaws that he finds primarily were more about a brand new vehicle on a brand new assembly line that wasn't dialed in at the start of this year when his vehicles he took apart were first assembled. Much like the rest of the auto industry Munro feels much more glee in all the vehicles failings as a kind of compensation/cognitive dissonance of how seriously disruptive the advance tech really is, such as the vehicles circuit board which he says is something you'd normally see in a fighter jet or advanced weapons systems, not a passenger car.