1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Road Hazard"

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mdh1951, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mdh1951

mdh1951 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Purchased a Pruis c in April. This is my 3rd Prius and really liked it.

However, in a week and a half, after delivery, I noticed that there was something on my windshield under the wiper blades. By the end of the week it was definitely a crack that was increasing by size daily

I brought it back to the dealer, and he looked at it, lifted the windshield wipers and just where the glass meets the rubber gasket, there was a pin hole that was about the size of a pencil head and not even a 1/100th of an inch. The surrounding was smooth. It evidently a manufacturers defect. I believe they did not clean off the metal shaving when they were installing it or was a defective piece of glass. The service manager said that it was "road hazard". They were not willing to do anything. I was told to see my salesman. When I found him, he turned from a very nice salesman to a typicl used car dealer in a ghetto who sold cars with 25% interest rate. He said they inspected the car when it was delivered to me and even took pictures of the car. This was false and when I asked him for the photo, he would not give it to me.

Spoke to the gm(via phone) and they just kept repeating road hazard- not warranted. I spoke to the area service manager, same answer. Finally I gave up, gave it to my insurance agent and they replace the windshield after paying my $250 deductible

A couple of other things, I have been driving for over 45 years and never had a cracked windshield. ever. I live int the SFBay area and the roads are well maintained. I just drove on local roads for that week.

If you are considering buying a Toyota in the SF Bay area, stay away from Piercy Toyota in Miliptas, Ca

lchamp likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I grew up in the Bay Area and have had a license since 1991 and can remember at least two cracked windshield incidents, one definitely in the Bay Area and another I'm pretty sure was here too.

Years ago, before I could drive, I was with my dad and we heard a loud bang as we went under an overpass. Sure enough, it was a rock chip.

Another time, I was driving our minivan and I heard a loud bang + clattering. There was a very large rock that hit, got lodged w/wipers and remained on the car. My memory is foggy now but I think it bounced off the hood and then hit the windshield.