1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road legal Prius headlights upgrade, new Philips H4 LEDs or HIDs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by FXG, Nov 6, 2015.

1. FXG

FXG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John, I checked and yes it does, actually frightened a few neighbours by standing in the car's trunk with the headlights on! ;) It's a 2007 T-Spirit (56 reg). That would explain why I kept seeing normal/short range dipped-beam even with a fully loaded trunk and the knob set to maximum height. Curious idea to have this adjustment even though the headlights are automatically limited to the maximum legal beam distance/pattern?
    Anyway these LED look promising given the above pictures, I'm hoping they become available here. (I made a few more trips since then and the cars with aftermarket / non compliant LED fitted to their reflector headlights are a serious hazard)
    By the way, another legal finding I made is regarding the headlight washers. In their typical kafkaesque regulatory impulse, these are type-approved for each car, and tested on the car's headlights after subjecting them to a certain spray whose content in various salts and precisely-sized grains of sand are specified! A bit insane if you ask me... And since this equipment has not been type-approved in a any ECE compliant market for the NHW20 there is not retrofitting JDM HIDs legally either. Bother...
    PS: With regards to your comment on the beam pattern, I suspect these are US DOT headlights, which do not have the sloping cutoff where oncoming traffic would be. The tests realised by the ECE working group show that DOT & ECE compliant, properly designed LED bulbs give good results (they did not test those specific Phillips bulbs though)

#21 FXG, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's like pea soup the regulation gets thicker every day. I'll stay with my 33watt HID's for now as I have not had problem with the law, MOT,or people flashing me. However I do have them set conservatively. I have thought about changing my fogs for spots.
    I am also thinking of changing to a Lexus a bit of an expensive way round the problem.

John

FXG likes this.
  3. FXG

FXG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon the +130% is achieved by using a thinner fillament, maybe by using a better material... I'm unsure, but the wattage should be the same and one thing's for sure, they do not last long. Those LEDs would provide a nice battery performance boost in heavy traffic at night I suspect.

4. colmenedo

colmenedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    purchase and easy installation impressive, I'm afraid that the different versions did not fit our Prius as the Philips LED disassembled for parts

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. dingaling007

dingaling007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I've spent over $600 trying to get Philips LED lights setup with my Prius. Those Ultinons with the big black heatsink are a no go with the gen2 Prius as another poster has showed. Without the heatsink properly attached the LEDS will get too hot and reduce there brightness (and life).

I spend more money trying to create my own heatsinks with a block of aluminium and tapping a thread so i could screw it onto the LED, but due to the prius headlight housing angle i could only have a small circular heatsink that was not effective enough compared to that Philips black heatsink.

So today I bought the newest Gen3 Philips h4 Ultinon 9000, the heatsink is smaller and circular with active fan cooling. This almost fits but fouls on the plastic ring rubber boot part.

I will create a post shortly showing how I modified this to fit these LEDS without ruining the weather proofing.

6. dingaling007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Cant seem to delete posts.

#26 dingaling007, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  7. dingaling007

Vehicle: