1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

road noise from driverside door seal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by acacia987, Dec 29, 2009.

1. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a couple weeks ago i started to notice road noise coming from the driver side door, at the top/rear corner where its seals with the body. At highway speeds. When driving i can squeeze that corner to the body and the noise goes away. so somehow that corner got slightly bent out or the seal got loose and has left a tiny gap.

I will try getting some adhesive weather stripping to see if i can somehow fix it, but thought i would see if anyone was having similar issues.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could just be that the cold weather has made the rubber go hard. Also check for ice that might interfere with the seal.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Folks bedeviled with whistling sounds have discovered that it is
    difficult to pin pont where they are coming from. Most often the
    sounds have originated from torn or missing covers over little screw
    holes under the outside mirrors. Here is a thread detailing this issue:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/36158-anybody-else-have-wind-noise-whistle.html

However, there has been other sourches such as the window
    gasketing, whicih have proved much more difficult to locate. Here is
    a thread that may help you find and fix your problem:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/69071-new-prius-whistling-sound.html

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the links. there is a couple different things i am going to try out. looking at the door i did notice that the door at top of the A frame is about a 1/4 " off the frame compared to the rear driver side door. I may try and see if the dealer can mess with the alignment to bring that back to flush with the rear. Should i even ask how much they would charge me for that? i have the extended warrenty, but i don't think it covers body work like that.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the exact same problem when my car was "new." I had to cut out a piece of foam (luckily it was dark gray foam so it matched my interior) and wedge it at the base of the A-frame, where the dash and A-frame meet. The foam still sticks out but at least it doesn't rattle and make sound anymore.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try doin' an old school. ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW and try bending that corner in a little. Don't laugh if you ever worked in a body shop you would have seen that done many times.
    And if you take it to the dealer body shop as soon as your out of sight they'll try it too.

This also happens alot when a pop-a-lock service pops the door using the air bag there all using now and the frame gets bent slighly.

Good Luck.

7. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought about that, i didn't know if i could actually be able to bend it. But i will give it a shot.