1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road noise in front

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil M., Sep 9, 2018.

1. Phil M.

Phil M. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius that I bought used and it just hit 130,000 miles. So far no major issues. However, I’ve started to notice loud noise coming from the front of the vehicle while I’m going down the road, and it gets louder as I speed up. I suspect it might be a bad wheel bearing. Has anyone had one go bad or could it be something else?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How are your tires? Do they look smooth?

3. Phil M.

Phil M. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Upon looking at them, the driver side tire seems to be wearing unevenly, the inside is more worn than the outside. The other tire is actually quite a bit newer and looks good. I attached the picture of the drivers side.

Attached Files:

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have LRR low rolling resistance tires like a Goodyear integrity when the rubber gets worn down it becomes a horribly noisy tire. It’s a Very hard rubber tire to begin with. Hope your not running Integrity’s there the worst tire ever made.

This car is all tire. You will really hear the tire when it gets worn.

Wheel bearing makes a whomp whomp noise and is speed specific. Very common issue on a g2. I lost my front driver side wb at 35000 miles bought new 07. It was replaced under warranty. That’s the only and last time my car had seen a Toyota dealer.

5. Phil M.

Phil M. New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took it into Kennedy auto and they tell me the left front bearing needs to be replaced. But also they said all 4 struts are bad and should be replaced. Have you ever heard of the back struts going out? Any of you ever replaced struts? They quoted me about $2500 for the struts and the wheel bearing. Please advise.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check patrick wongs strut replacement thread. price seems high, shop around?

7. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I know this is an older thread but ... I'm having the same problem ... Road noise in the front. I've already looked through all the "road noise" threads here.

I just purchased this 2008 Prius a year ago, 170,000 miles when I got it ... It had been hit slightly in the front, and I wore out the front tires that were almost new in about 9000 miles ... the toe-in was way off. I had the front end aligned and installed Michelin X-ice front tires as it's getting close to winter.

They were great for a while, but then I began gradually hearing LOTS of road noise ... I could even feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel, it sounded like a 4x4 truck with knobby tires going down the road!. Sounded like the driver's side ... I figured it had to be a wheel bearing, so I had it replaced.

But, after replacing the wheel bearing ... It's STILL making the same noise! ... Figured it had to be the Michelin tires, so I replaced them with BF Goodrich Tiger Paws on the front. But the car is STILL making the noise, although the noise is different now ... It gets really noisy up until about 35 mph ... Then it quiets down somewhat at freeway speeds of 55-65 mph ... And the vibration isn't as severe as with the Michelins.

Both the Michelins and the BF Goodrich tires where somewhat aggressive M&S tires ... Are these cars known for excessive road noise with such tires?

I hate to just keep throwing parts at it (I do all the work myself) ... Are there certain tires to stay away from with these cars?

I might try putting the front tires on the back, and the backs on the front, to see if the noise moves. (rear tires are Kelly with a normal tread, same as original fronts - they never made any excessive noise)

Any ideas? ... I really don't think it's wheel bearings any more.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Road noise caused by uneven wear, bad shocks, or aggressive tires. If you want a nice smooth quiet ride, put on some nice radial tires and make sure your car suspension is in good condition

9. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyone else? ... Are these cars known for excessive road noise? ... Are there certain tires to stay away from with these cars?

It almost sounds like the suspension is attached to the car WITHOUT rubber mounts! (I've driven race cars that were like that, LOTS of road noise!)

10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d get the front end suspension components looked at for wear before changing tires. A car that old has to have some wear and the accident did t help.

11. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The thing is, when I first got the car, there was NO noticeable road noise at all ... It began when I put the Michelin X-Ice tires on. I've inspected tie rod ends, ball joints, struts, and CV joint boots ... All looks good!

Both the camber and toe-in have been checked and adjusted as well.

I'm beginning to think you simply CAN'T run aggressive M&S tires on these cars without a lot of road noise ... Anyone else here running Michelin X-ice tires (or similar) who DON'T have excessive road noise?