1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road noise with the 15" Toyo tires

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 'LectroFuel, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Peterl1945

Peterl1945 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius 4 Touring came with Yokohama 17s - they were not even in Tire Rack's inventory - they said the 17s were only sold in Japan !!
    16 in Yokohamas were available for the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon). Checked with my Toyota dealer - the Yokohama's were not available - had to be special ordered !!! - great if I loose a tire.
    Besides the fore mentioned they were very noisy so I replaced them with Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S plus. - Top rated by Tire Rack - low rolling resistance too.
    Sold the Yokohamas already.
    Very pleased with the ride and lower noise level - running a 40 PSI

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all lrr tyres are not created equal. if replacement tyres are in the near future, i recommend due diligence. knowledge is key here, and there are plenty of experiences here and tyre reviews to learn from.
    if i were replacing mine, i think i would go with michelin energy saver a/s. but there are other good choices reported here and elsewhere for noise, handling, wet weather, traction, longevity, mpg's and etc.

3. JLL2016

JLL2016 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just got a 2016 Prius 3, and after a couple days we started to notice the on and off vibrating noise which seems from the area where the dashboard and the windshield area on driver's side. We thought it might be from the plastic piece right outside the windshield area but didn't think of the possibilities of tires...

#23 JLL2016, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi JLL, that vibration may be related to something else, other than the tires. I had an odd vibration/rattle occur on the right corner of the dash... but just one time. Never happened again (thankfully.)

I must be adapting to my Toyo Tire noise. I haven't noticed it as much the last couple of days; Or maybe I'm just subconsciously tuning it out? Don't know, but I'm getting 60.1 mpg so I will shut my mouth. ;)

#24 Coast Cruiser, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    krmcg likes this.
  5. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked my Two Eco tires a few days ago after 2000 miles, and was surprised to find the fronts at 56.5 psi and the rears at 55.5 psi. I dropped them to the recommended 39/36, and do not notice any difference in fuel consumption. Increasing tire pressure must have diminishing returns. I do notice a less harsh and noisy ride however.

Coast Cruiser and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds (not for the first time) like dealership neglecting to do proper Pre-Delivery Inspection. :mad:

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  7. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine came with Bridgestone TW=600 A A 51 PSI. Very quiet tires.