1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road rally drivers?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Apr 30, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm thinking about taking the BMW i3-REx to a road rally. Never been to one before but I get the impression it is about precise driving and following a route.

Anyone have experience with these?

Would a Prius Prime also work?

Bob Wilson

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are several different types of road rally - TSD, Q/A (gimmick), lime bag/fun to name a few.

The most technical is TSD - you're given a set of route instructions which include average speeds and you're timed at various points along the course. Too early or too late gets you penalty points, fewest accumulated points wins. Usually there are different classes based on vehicle equipment and driver/navigator experience. That type of rally can have straightforward route instructions or trick/trap-type where part of the challenge is figuring out the instructions themselves.

Q/A rallys ask you to find answers to questions along the route. These are more likely to be trick/trap-type, and the scoring is based on number of correctly answered questions and usually also by distance traveled (some of the traps make you vary from the proscribed course). They can be fun if you enjoy puzzles/tricks/traps, frustrating otherwise.

Any car should be suitable as long as it has working odometer/speedometer and enough range to finish the course. Participants are usually limited to a driver and navigator per car, hopefully someone you get along with and communicate well with. That can change as a rally progresses.

RCO likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks,

The one I'm looking at: Tennessee Region SCCA

When you map "Twin Fountains, Bell Buckle, TN", it is an oval track with a side twist. Looking at the results for Sun, Mar 5, Sun Mar 26, and Apr 9, the speeds seem reasonable and the cars well within the performance range of the BMW i3-REx. I get the impression of a 'track day' more than anything else.

Bob Wilson

4. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah - these are "autocross" events, which are different from road rallies. A road rally is held on public roads at legal speeds, whereas this is held on a closed/private course, and speed is 'as fast as you can go'. Cars are divided into classes based on performance so a Corvette isn't competing directly with a Mini (for example). There are safety regulations as well, as a minimum you would need a helmet that meets whatever their current standards are. For stock classes you don't need roll bars/cages or 5-point harnesses, but there are classes that do.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They have 'loaner' helmets so I'll bring some bowling shoe spray. <GRINS>

They mentioned penalties for 'missing cones' so it sounds like it isn't just 'get on the track and GO!' Some level of skill and handling may be required.

I'll see what sort of YouTube for "autocross" exists.

Bob Wilson

6. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, runs are timed and there are additional penalties for not following the proper route through any cones they set up (they can make a row of cones you have to slalom through, or corners of varying radii, etc. I will warn you it can be habit-forming (and hard on your tires!). But it will help you learn the limits of your car. One significant help is to over-inflate your tires (beyond recommended, probably up to near max) to reduce sidewall rollover in hard turning.

RCO likes this.