1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road & Track GUSH over Model S

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Feb 26, 2013.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Return to Power: the 2013 Tesla Model S - Road & Track

Some representative quotes:
    They nit picked a few items, mostly to not sound too "bought" I think. But all in all this, along with Motor Trend, Automobile Magazine and just about everyone but one New York Times "journalist" and Jalopnik the amazingly positive reviews keep rolling in. You can add my personal review to that list too.

xs650, F8L, Tideland Prius and 4 others like this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I like this statement;)

efusco likes this.
  3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gushing & salivating, the 60Kwh Model S starts at $63,570, may cost less than a BMW active hybrid 5 which starts at $61,400.

Model S delivery story! My 2013 Tesla Model S Electric Sport Sedan: Delivery at Last!

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you power off the car while sitting in it? Did the author mention that is not doable? I heard there is a 'butt sensor', so whenyou put it in park, it shuts off when you get out of the seat? If so, they need a power off button.

Is there a 'park' button on the steering wheel? Does that park button activate an electrical parking brake?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a park button on the shifter. Yes, the car turns off when the butt leave the seat. There is, apparently, a way to turn off the car from the touch screen, I've never had cause to try to figure out how.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's easy to turn off or power off the car while in the driver's seat, fine, but if it's not easy, then I don't think I would like that.

Come to think of it, some times I get in my car just to get something out of the glove box or wipe down the interior, etc... I usually have my key because had to unlock to get in.... if I touched the brake pedal and the car powered on when I don't want it to .... I wouldn't like that.

I think the Model S powers on with key in pocket, sitting in driver's seat and applying the brake, or maybe lightly applying / touching brake pedal.

Hard to tell w/o living with one, but might they have gone too far leaving out a power on/off button?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't imagine why it would matter if you could turn it completely off while in it or not. I've not once in the 3 months I've had mine had a desire to turn it completely off while sitting in the driver's seat. Do you go sit in your Prius with the power completely off for any period of time?

I think, perhaps, you're making a bit too much of an issue of it really. If you're in the car you'll likely want music playing or the browser accessible or whatever. Hitting the brake is pretty irrelevant, really...you only do that to put the car in gear, much like the Prius.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

cool... seems like a great car.

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One day

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To wipe down the dash, inside windshield, console, detail interior ... yes I sit in the driver's seat to do so. Sometimes I might need to change batteries in flash light in glove box, any number of things. Maybe I don't accidentally hit the brake pedal.

I don't do this much, but sometimes I may just want to stop for a while, send a text, eat some lunch in driver's seat and oftentimes I prefer the car to be powered off.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Splitting atoms

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to know they left in an option to power off the car while sitting in it, and from the manual below, it looks as though they did. I saw a review a while back where I thought reviewer claimed it couldn't be done, but sounds like something changed or he didn't know how. There's probably ways to change the user setup on power off, locking, etc...

"PARKING AND POWER OFF
    When you finish driving, shift into P (Park) by pressing the button on
    the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages
    and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S, it powers off
    automatically, turning off the touchscreen and instrument panel.
    Model S also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes,
    even if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat.
    To manually power off Model S, or to control the parking
    brake, touch CONTROLS > E-BRAKE & POWER OFF."

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_owners_guide.pdf

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. That's because you are so eager to drive it.

I guess you haven't had occasion to eat something while stopped, or if you don't eat in the car, I could see that. On rare occasion I'll eat something while stopped and I'm sure many others do that too.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Utterly bizarre.
    Why would you turn off the car while eating?
    I prefer a bit of music, or news with my lunch.
    But yes, as you found, you can turn the car off via the main console.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems good it powers off when you get out of the seat. That way it can't be left powered on like some Prius driver's who've walked away leaving car powered up.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure I do, I have many times I sit in the car waiting for my kids at sports practice or after school and things...but I just turn off the headlights and sit listening to music. The only power drain is whatever systems are up and running. You can turn off the climate control, the headlights, the radio, whatever you want...the car just sits there using whatever power is on..the only ongoing drain left to turn off would be the displays.

there's little or no advantage to powering all the way down to sleep mode while you're in the car. It's a complete non-issue IMO.

cycledrum likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's not like the car's motor idles.

With just the displays and radio on, it might only be drawing from the 12volt battery.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It definitely draws down the main battery. I've had to sit in the car for 90 minutes or so a couple of times while waiting for my son to finish a run with his track team and could see the SOC drop a 2-3 miles of range over that time (heater on, stereo, surfing the browser, LED map light for reading). But the draw is pretty minimal.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone think Model S should eventually get heated steering wheel and heated rear seats?

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know of any other cars with heated rear seats. I can't see this as a sales point for anything but limos. Heated steering wheel may be a good idea, but since you can pre heat the car, its probably not as necessary as on some other non-electrics;)

I would think for normal use, there is no reason for an off switch in an EV. There is the case for strange emergencies and for first responders that a hard off switch would be nice.