1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ROAD Trip! Audiobook recomendations?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Apr 19, 2019.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon is now in my “holds” list....

I’ll look into Ringo’s stuff soon.
    Hitchhiker’s Guide was an interesting idea...and I always have podcasts loaded. Mostly public radio’s stuff.

Thanks all!

2. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    anything by Jordan Peterson

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anthony Bourdain's (RIP) Kitchen Confidential.

Or some Chuck Palahniuk: Fight Club (ends differently than the movie) and Choke

4. perryma2

perryma2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Field and Stream can be pretty good

5. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    rumor has it he is still taking a road trip. and is still listening to the recommendations

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always taking recommendations!

Trip concluded with my finishing Leviathan Wakes (Book 1 of the Expanse Series) and Die Trying (Book 2 of Jack Reacher.)
    Expanse is pretty good.

Typical, tired, corporations are bad people and humans are worse... theme, but it's wrapped nicely and...."expansive.'
    I love the 'throwing rocks' thing.
    Books 2-4 are on hold.
    ..we'll see.
    The series is promising.
    After reading book one I watched episodes 1 and 2 of the video series and I'm going to wait until I finish a few more of the books before I try to watch some more of the video.

Typically.....the videos do NOT do justice to the books....at least so far.

Reacher is Reacher.
    Lee Child is Lee Child.
    I've read most of the series, and despite the obvious 'Chinese into English' translation error feel of a European writing about the US Army and weapons, it's pretty entertaining. If anybody reads this and cares to dip their toe into the audiobook series, I recommend starting with the two that they made moves into, those being "One Shot" and "Never Go Back."
    If you listen rather than read, (recommended for driving!) Dick Hill narrates both and he's excellent with this genre.
    You really don't have to listen to them in order.
    Child's Reacher is about as complicated as a cinder block, and seemingly about as tough.

I also knocked out Bill O'Reilly's Killing Jesus because....hey, it was right after Easter. ;)
    I'm 2-3 chapters into Theodore Rex, and about halfway through Empire Rising (Rick Campbell...dime-store US-China techno-almost thriller)

In Que:
    Les Mis.
    Tale of 2 Cities
    Undecided Austen book....I have all 6 in my library, I think.

On Hold:
    Expanse Series. 2-4
    Sea Stories (McRaven)
    Cryptonomicon

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, this is entirely just me.
    But I don't feel I get as much out of "audio books". I just don't absorb them the same way I do when I sit and actually read a book.
    Over my lifetime I've tried.

Even now, I have 1 day per work week where I work more or less alone, and I can listen to whatever I want, and I find that things are just distracting enough that trying to listen to any "book" finds me losing just enough content and absorption of content that I just don't feel I'm getting the full impact.

So when I go on road trips, I have to keep it light. Light entertainment podcasts, or music, or talk shows. But if I try to absorb a novel, or story of any weight or salt? I just feel I'm missing stuff, nuance I will catch if I actually read the book.

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usta feel the same way...and I do indeed sometimes 'keep it light' while I'm on the road - or - maybe I'm just not all that deep. :D
    If I listen to a particularly chewy book and I feel that I missed some bits, I'll re-listen - but it doesn't happen all that often.

I find that while I'm on the interstate that all I have to do is collision avoidance, navigation, and consumables management.
    That leaves a lot of cpu/gpu horsepower free to either go on mental liberty (one of the joys of just....driving!) or ponder an upcoming project or problem......or....lose myself in a book.
    Depending on the performance - and some of them are quite masterful, I've been alerted by the chiming of a low fuel alarm indicating that my consumables management suffered, but usually bilge pumping keeps my fuel state above minimums.
    I feel that my lizard-brain will probably keep me from bumping into something, or, more importantly someONE while on the open road, and I've actually paused a book while transiting through thick traffic (Nashville at 4PM, most recently) but all of this might be a typical conceit, and I may be more of a hazard to road navigation that I imagine that I am.
    However (comma!) given the number of my fellow humans that I see engaging in other activities while behind the wheel, I'm thinking that listening to a book is about the same as listening and perhaps performing a particularly loved song.

We are all slaves to our justifications.

When I'm at work I have to listen to podcasts mostly, because the the cpu and more particularly the gpu is much more active than whilst on the interstate.

As always......
    YMMV

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I used to like audiobooks and talk radio, but then one day I was over it. I just don't enjoy either anymore. Now when I'm driving it has to be wall to wall music, and when I'm not driving I want to read.