1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road trip Chicago to Anchorage.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by tgpii, Dec 28, 2015.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I might be getting a job in Anchorage, Alaska.

I currently live near Chicago, IL.

I have a 2012 Prius C two, with 52,222 miles on it.

Do you think it could make the trip?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes probably you can get some tips from Robert Holt ...I believe he made the trip from Virginia and has some informative threads about the experience. He would also likely be happy to help via personal message (PM).

PS- say Hi to Spiderman when you get there.

tgpii likes this.
  3. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Got 1st snowstorm (probably 8-10 inches) tonight (and that's only 2hrs north of chicago)...I got stuck 3 times coming home...good luck

you're going from snow to snow'eyer??? so prepare accordingly and don't try to take any back roads, lol

tgpii likes this.
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This time of the year may pose difficulties. I assume as long as you can avoid any major storms and stay on main roads you should be fine.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're going to live up there I would pick up a winter beater once you're there. I.e. old 4x4 that you don't mind getting beat up. I would think with chains you should be able to make it, albeit slowly

Fone ?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh Prius C I thought you had a 4-wheel drive imported 2016 Gen4 liftback from Japan
    ...seriously my comments above were not for winter...that's a whole new ball game
    I forgot some of you are having a winter this year (60F today in DC).

#6 wjtracy, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  8. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fone ?

9. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I gt stuck once in the C but dug in out. I almost got stuck a few times in the snow. I would drive the C in till I got everything in Alaska straight. Do you think winter tires make a difference?

I have a 2012 Toyota Prius C two. I have about 50,000 mi. Besides a few accidents ( a guy back into me and then I hit a raccoon) I have not done much. I had the oil changed and not much else. I am about to do the first major thing on it new tires. It still had the original tires. I did have the windows 30% tinted.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as living in Anchorage, the c might be fine in winter. I was more worried about driving there in winter weather.

11. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  12. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    C does fine in weather weather, even with just all season tires with a good life left (on a nice plowed road), other than that, just don't get caught in a storm or back roads that don't get plowed too often (C's clearance is pretty low for storms...and even some higher clearance and AWD got stuck)...and since you got a 2012, means no switch to turn off traction control...so, the guy helping me get my C unstuck was amazed my car had no traction control switch when he told me to turn it off, and I told him I can't.

just remember that no matter if you have winter tires, cables, or chains...when it storms, you might as well find a place to stop for the day/night

tgpii likes this.
  13. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have the original factory tires. The car has 52,000. I am getting new tires today. I was debating on snow vs all weather tires. I just went with the cheapest I can get. For now. Tires are one of the most replaced items on a car so getting fancy tires to me feels like a waste. (I know others will disagree and I am not trolling!) That is the only major thing I had to have done so far on my 2012 Prius C 2.

Anyways if I am moving or going from Chicago, Illinois USA to Alaska USA is there anything I should do to the car? Are tire chains worth it and are they legal? How about oil pan heater or engine block heater? Anyone have any idea wear I can get any of those install and what the prices would be? Thank you. Can the traction control be turned off in a Prius C? I had other cars you could turn it off.

Happy New Year.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine block heater on Prius Chat store, right?

tgpii likes this.
  15. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That or other brands.
    Why did you use battery warmer and oil warmer but not trans or engine block heater? How do they work on gasoline hybrid cars?

16. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The official Toyota block heater bought from my local Toyota dealer cost me $100 here in Canada. The installed price is $240, so I decided to save the extra cost and install it myself. It's a pretty straightforward job, and the only tool you need only costs a few bucks. If you're interested in giving it a try you might want to have a look at my YouTube video of the procedure.

minkus and ftl like this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tgpii I never used a battery warmer except sometimes I make my wife ride shot gun:sick: oops just kidding. I am not familiar with anything other than the engine block heater. You might want to block the grills, and see eFusco posts where he shows insulating the engine compartment (use the way back machine - search function).

#18 wjtracy, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    tgpii likes this.
  18. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know that Prius chat sells an engine block heater for the prius C. How about an oil pan heater, batter warmer or trans warmer?

19. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    umm, I would say don't waste your money on a engine block heater

I'd probably rather invest a little more of my money in a remote starter kit rather than a engine block heater, because, if it's real cold outside...I'd rather spend that extra few cents of gas to remote start my car from the warmth and comfort of my home (not to mention apart from warming up the engine, the cabin also gets warmed up along with window defrost and it's also useful in summer as well)...while with an engine block heater...you're going to have to go to your car anyway and plug it into an outlet (but since you're moving there out of the blue, it could mean you're going to be renting an apartment or w/e with no nearby outlets) and it doesn't really warm anything else other than your engine (also useless in summer)

just my 2cents

tgpii likes this.