1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Trip Tips

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iammegiam, Apr 28, 2015.

1. iammegiam

iammegiam Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all! We are taking our 2013 Prius III on it's first road trip in less than 2 months!

The trip will be 2 weeks and consists of:
    Chicago, IL
    Little Rock, AR
    Nashville, TN
    Panama City, FL
    Orlando, FL
    Pigeon Forge, TN
    Chicago, IL

Total miles: Approx 3,100 roundtrip

Any advice you'd like to lend to make the most of our Prius and protect it? It's only a few days old to us and we already bought the Weather Tech mats :D

2. andonuts

andonuts New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Might want to protect the front somehow. Took mine on a few road trips, although not as far, came home to a few chips on the hood. I usually drive more conservativly when I'm home, but on long trips I'll go faster. The mpg is already good enough for me no need to try and get the highest mpg while going 100+ miles.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can get the 3M vinyl put on the front if you are worried about rock chips. Not sure if it's economical though. Typically costs around $1000 to do the front including hood and mirrors. If an absence of rock chips is worth that much to you, go for it. I did. Then a "larger rock" hit the hood and dented it. But no paint chip! ;)
    The places you're going would worry me more about thunder storms and hail/tornadoes. But you can't just hide your car under a rock. You bought it to enjoy, so enjoy!

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naaaah.
    Your car is Chicago Tough!
    You'll be OK.

Bring some audiobooks and a good DSLR camera if your cell phone isn't up to the task.
    You may want to check for any sand that might find its way into your engine compartment from the Gulf Coast around PC and (Gently!) flush it out with low pressure water but that's only if you're driving along the coast.
    While you have the hose out....
    Normally I'd advise a fresh water wash-down (touch-free car wash with a rocker panel option if you're an apartment dweller) but....you live in the frozen North, so it might not matter very much.

Don't be disappointed if you get less than stellar mileage on the interstate.

Watch your speed in Florida.
    They can see those Illinois plates from the air. :)

Most Importantly!!!

Have fun!

Send pix.

Good Luck!

5. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think bugs will be your main problem. So before you leave, make sure you have a good coat of wax (or other protection) on the front part of your car. Than 3M stuff might be a little overkill, but it will protect your car. The bugs will still make a mess, but hopefully won't ruin the finish.

Mike

6. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just completed a round trip from Dallas ,Tx. to Erie,Pa. Just drive Prius like you would any other car. ( I know i'll get flack for that statement. But thats the way I drive it. You don't have to Baby it. Its tougher than it looks). I drive 75 to 85+ on the interstate and got 47.5 mpg on the way up to Erie mostly flat land northern route. Got 44mpg no return trip southern route thru mountains with exrtra 400 lbs in back. Used cruise control as much as possible.