1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Trip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Red09, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I went on a road trip from Creston over the mountains to Kelowna. I filled up before I left and just after starting back. Going over all the mountain passes were snowy and ugly. I find that going through snow really drops my fuel economy.
    Going over was 460Km and took 25L 5.4L/100Km
    Coming back was 418Km and took 20L 4.8L/100Km

I took my brother over to pick up a car he bought at an auction, a Chrysler Sebring. His car took 28L to come back 6.7L/100Km

He was in the lead and we were going 85 to 100Km/Hr up the mountain passes. He was pushing it because he did not think that the Prius could keep up and do as good for mileage as his car.

When we got back and fueled up he asked if I was embarrassed. I said no, why? He said because his car only took 8L more. I told him I was very pleased how my car performed going up those mountains at those speeds with that fuel economy. I suggested that we drive side by side on my daily commute for a week and see how well his car did then. I can get down to 4.4L/100Km when it stays warmer.

I cant wait for spring and summer.

2. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You should be embarrassed you are only 40% more efficient when he sets the pace?

Offer to see if he is 40% more efficient when you set the pace.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah 6.7L/100km (35 MPG) is a fairly respectable effort for the Chrysler, it's obviously a fairly efficient modern car. Yet you beat it by 40% anyway. Size wise it looks like a fairly good match to the prius, both "mid sized" cars. Around town I'd say you'd be more like 60% to 100% ahead on km/L.

BTW. What's year model and engine for the Sebring?