1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road/Wind noise dB readings

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by VovCA, Jan 8, 2016.

1. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I spoke to the guys at dynamat and ask if they where going to make a kit for the prius they said they had received a few inquiry not they need a car they car make templates and test with and it would take about 6 mouths to a year to do.
    This was over the summer so maybe they got one to use.
    My buddy who owns a stero shop uses this stuff was thinking of haven him put it in the doors.One other thing some jeep guys sware that rino lining the under cage quits down there jeeps.

#21 zzrguy, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  2. Dealeo

Dealeo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Using the Decible 10 app in my 2013 Prius plus w forged rims and low profile tires, TRD rear sway bar, TRD springs, Cusco rear, mid, front and strut bar and ultra racing rear strut bar my dcbl count on a smooth freeway at 60 mph was an astonishing 92 to 99 dcbls
    Yes the Cusco frame stiffers really transmit road noise.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where did you read 0 mph? That is not what I said. Please re-read my post. What I said was "there was no wind to speak of". That is a little different than 0 mph.

When a flag on a flag pole is not moving I do not consider that enough wind to make a difference in dB noise levels.

4. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May be something wrong with app or device? It's just a way too loud.

5. Dealeo

Dealeo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll try another Db app to compare

6. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used the decibel 10 app last night and had a reading of 84 dcbl @ 80mph. A few factors can change ones personal experience from the tires, wind direction, surface of the road but I'll soon be taking my baseline and doing a full butyl sound proofing install.

7. double-i

double-i New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    here are my readings on the fruitphone decibel 10 app today and got 88 dcbl @ 75mph on fairly windy day on i5 near Ortega highway in SoCal. no roof rack or cargo box / hitch

Road was very rough. I don't think the phone mic is meant for this. In order to get a proper reading we may need to break out an analog sound meter that some audiophile may have laying around.

I hear a big difference from what it was before and definitely worth the effort to do it yourself. You'll get the spots that a hourly installer may miss. I plan to finish the car by doing the full floor and wheel wells. Then add some braces and shocks.

Only change is "$ynamat" sound deadening:
    *4 doors fully covered (inside of the interior and exterior shells, the round cross beams, all flat areas, completely around speaker housings, and on the insides of the door panels as well.)
    *Spare tire area
    *both rear quarter panels and all beams
    *area around the battery (not on)
    *under rear seat *trunk hatch
    *on all the plastic panels on top of the spare tire area.

8. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It really is all relevant since I listen to the radio at max anyway. :)

9. double-i

double-i New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So true!!! You're going to hear / notice road noise more in a Prius, hell none of us bought these cars because of how they sound great or handle on turns at a high rate of speed. We bought them because of the gas mileage. If someone does not want to hear the road noise turn up your favorite tunes!! or install "$ynamat"

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I assume you mean "irrelevant"?

What I noticed after some basic sound dampening is now I don't need to turn up the music as high. That was to compensate for the road noise. Pretty simple, if the car is quieter then I don't need to turn it up as loud. Also, I noticed it's easier to have a conversation too!

#30 Sfcyclist, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  11. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly, driving on freeways I always turn sound louder to compensate noise and I don't like it. When I start driving again, I turn sound down. In Prius there more contrast with other cars, because at low speeds it is more quite, and on high speeds it tends to be louder and if you don't want conversation, Prius is really good!:)

#31 VovCA, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I will have to do another measurement again to see my reading match what I notice. After sound dampening, car is def. quieter overall.

based line I have is average of 78 db on the freeway. That's no where near your 70 db but different app(im using Decibel 10th) and different roads.

13. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two