1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roadside assistance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Jan 19, 2006.

1. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought two 7/100/$0 from Troy for $990 each. I had origninally purchased one from the dealer for $1590 but I cancelled it when I read about the deal from Troy. I just told the dealer that I changed my mind... and I never tried to get into a debate about buying it cheaper elsewhere.

Troy was great! I got the paperwork back from him right away... and I expect to get the final paperwork from Toyota very soon.

There is little reason to get an extended warrany early... unless you feel that the cost may go up significantly. Several people have speculated that Toyota may eventrually need to raise the price of a Prius warranty because of the number of high tech components that are standard. Another consideration is that TFC might get pressure from dealers who are losing business to dealers like Troy... and somehow suppress the supply of discounted warrantys.

In any case... I felt that Troy's price was a good enough incentive that I went ahead and purchased it now while there was no question of availability or price.

/Jim

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3. cgraham

cgraham Member

Picked up my Prius today. It contained the guide with the roadside assistance info ("ask your dealer for details").The dealer didn't have a clue that the roadside assistance plan was kaput. I had him call Toyora to confirm it. When we discussed what they could do about it, the answer finally came back - "It's a Toyota Corporate problem: we can't pick up their cost responsibilites; you don't have to take the car". Actually, I agree with them. I think the dealership that agreed to buy AAA+ for the customer was generous, and one should not expect that response - no harm in asking, though.

I could have sucked the dealership into the matter by inviting them to explain the assistance program, causing them to "promote" it, but I didn't think that was fair. My other dealings over this purchase had been very straightforward, and I otherwise got exactly what I asked for, no hassle. I could have walked away from the deal, but had too much effort invested.

(I recommend Dick Poe, El Paso, TX.)

So the question is, how do we get Corporate to make good on their pamphlet? I will certainly write a strong letter, but one will not be enough. And I'd like more background before writing.

Does anyone know of any written advertizing of this service for the '06 besides the guide manual? I can't find it on the Toy website. There is surely some legalese somewhere saying that nothing in the documentation is guaranteed to be accurate, and also can be changed at any time. So one would either have to be able to make the legal case that one relied on a justified belief that the RA program was an '06 feature and relied on it to make a purchase decision, or there is enough owner outrage EXPRESSED PUBLICLY to create a PR problem for Toyota.

Did anyone see an announcement in '05 that this program would be suspended in '06, or see it listed in early '06 promo material?

What next?

C

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

As stated it's in the 2006 Pocket Refernce Guide on page 29!

5. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The previous comments are correct about the extended warranty not offering Roadside Assistance, but pre-paid auto service, also available through Troy at an excellent price, does include Roadside Assistance.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, the best route here, according to DH, is to call Toyota customer relations. if it's in the manual and materials, it should be covered. otherwise i think it would be considered false advertising.

if they get a large enough response they'll know people are indeed paying attention to this issue and will make a move to please their customers.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I agree with this and the dealership I bought from is working on what he can do for me since I have now shown him the documentation of being offered it.

This is what I think Toyota should do if they don't intend to offer it for 2006. Since it's only January 21st I think what they should do is contact the dealerships and tell them not to mention that roadside anymore in their sales pitches. Also stop handing out the brochere that says it's offered. Then they should take care of anyone who purchased a car in 2006 before they do those 2 things. This way they are taking care of the customers who were told they get it or given the brochere and they can stop offering for any future sales. Not sure why they don't want to offer it anymore but I feel this is what they should do at this point.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Tracy, from your posts, the dealer offered to take care of you BEFORE seeing the documentation. Him asking for the documenation could be because 1) It is good busines to have all the FACTS in front of you and, 2) he may want to bill back Toyota should you need tow service. Your implication that you had to force his hand is not supported by your earlier posts.

As far as talking to lawyers....you can't sue until you are damaged (exception is class action) so you would have to NEED ERS, then not get it and have to pay out of your pocket, THEN sue.

IF your original posts were the most accurate...you have a good sales manager on your hands, don't piss him off.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

He just wanted me to fax it so he had it in front of him when he took it further for me.

He is still at this point checking into the matter. He did call me today to update me and let me know he will now have to get back to me on Monday.

They were a great dealership to work with and told me right away when I brought up the issue that one way or another they would figure something out for me.

10. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

\\

I looked into this matter and had an extensive conversation with Toyota, referring to the facts that dealers say this is for 2006 and it is also in the owner's guide. Toyota apologized for this, but also said that they reserve the right to change the road side asst w/o notification if they wish (also in the owner's guide). If you guys work out something different, let me know.

Thsnks!

-Steve

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I just started another thread on this topic...after doing a search...but wanted to tag this thread as well.

My pocket guide 06...DOESN'T have that information about RA in it ...so someone got wise and took it out. My Plantinum warranty supposedly does not cover towing either...but I'll have to reread it since it may cover it for any of the things that are covered, which would be proven after the repairs, I guess.

No one marketed the RA to me, but I had a blowout at 20 miles after leaving our service department and the service department gave me the 800 number for RA. Since my phone was dying and I was on hold, I called Service and they were kind enough to send someone, since I didn't have my Allstate card with me.

Anyhow, this got me asking about RA....NO ONE was sure...except that it wasn't anywhere in any of my papers or factory warranty information.

I called GoToyota, Customer Service, our business manager...no one was sure...finally, I reached someone in Customer Service who said it was discontinued for 06...my business manager felt that for the whole day of calls I made and for the calls he made and for the people that told him I DID have it, they should give it to me.

No luck...so I opened a case, complaining that so many people along various channels simply weren't sure.

Bottom line. I don't have it. I didn't get it. The only way I can get it, is to buy coupon books for Service at Toyota...Roadside Assistance comes with those plans.

Since I don't drive much, maybe 5000 miles a year, and will be going in by months for service...don't know if the coupon books will benefit me.

For now I have Allstate...mainly for the 24/7 towing service.

BTW, the 877 number is now gone...a man answered as though it were a private number. That used to be Roadside Assistance for Prius...I got that number from someone at 1800 GoToyota...they thought the RA was still active as was the 1 877 number...