1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roadsign assist very inaccurate

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by capnbirdseye, Nov 25, 2016.

1. capnbirdseye

capnbirdseye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Roadsign assist seems very inaccurate and I was relying on this to help avoid a speeding ticket here in UK,

today I had it show 60 whilst driving in a 40 area, several times it showed 40 when in a 30, The car is a brand new 2 days old 2016 Prius. It can't be dirty sensors on the car as it's in pristine condition so Is this a common fault or does my car need spectacles

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    RSA does not work well at all - I disable it and I never really use it. I usually look at the road, so RSA doesn't really help me also because it does not beep or regulate speed if you are faster than the speed limit it recognises. And considering how bad it is recognising, thank goodness it doesn't.
    It even doesn't understand that stickers of speed limits on trucks are not real speed limits...

3. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm pretty sure it's a GPS database, not a sensor function!

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not at all - it is a camera image recognition system. This is why it is not working that well. And why it is showing speed limits when there are none on German Highways, reading speed sign stickers on trucks (by law they need to show what are the fastest speed they can travel on highways and regional roads). And not doing a very good job at all ignoring them...

5. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't call it a fault but simply the limitations of the technology. Here in London, I find it works very well 90% of the time. There are also speed camera audible alerts if you have the Toyota navigation system. I find the combination of RSA and the audible alerts rather good.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. capnbirdseye

capnbirdseye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Thanks for your replies, seems it's a general problem everywhere so I will have to be wary and not rely on it being accurate

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine too keeps getting confused with the speed signs it thinks it's seen. Use the pinch of salt principle!

8. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In Europe it actually uses image recognition, and the feature is called RSA (Road Sign Assistance?).

In the US (and probably Canada) we don't have RSA as an option. Instead we have a speed limit display, based on static data from the navigation database (if equipped) as you suspected.

dstahre, RCO and krmcg like this.
  9. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    RSA is garbage. It works accurately 20% of the time and 10% of the time it does work it is completely annoying popping up on the HUD.

RCO likes this.