1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

roadtrip to drive the new Prius home :)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by adllewellyn, May 21, 2009.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to break in my '07 on mostly freeway on flat land. I would vary the speed from 50 to 70 in about 5 minute intervals if you can. Take a few side trips to let the engine vary rpm's even more. Pull in to the rest stops and read the manual! Good luck and have a great trip:party:

Lee

1 person likes this.
  2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey, thanks Tom, for sharing this.

It is weird that my 2009 manual reads more "cautiously" than your 2007. The wording in yours actually makes more sense for the Prius!

3. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Frank:

There are many threads on the PC forums that discuss the merits of higher tire pressures. The most common consensus is that if you keep the tires at or below the listed sidewall pressure, you should be safe (and legal). Many members here us 42 front, 40 rear, which really does improve fuel efficiency noticeably.

Others (and myself) use values slight lower, but still above the door sticker. I use 40 front, 38 rear with good results (improved gas mileage, but ride not quite so hard).

Almost everyone keeps their front tires 2 psi higher than the rear.

The stock Goodyear Integrity tires on the G2 series tend to wear unevenly at the Toyota-suggested tire pressures. Keeping a slightly higher pressure seems to cause them to wear out more evenly (not wear so quickly at the edges). So there is a double benefit from using a slightly higher pressure in the tires.

1 person likes this.
  4. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the tire psi info! Very interesting and informative.

Frank D.