1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Robin Williams Found Dead of Apparent Suicide?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Onager, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sure makes you pause,,, and wonder??? So Many of the "Celebrities" who have made it to the top, have fame & millions in $$, and so many people aspire to become like them. Yet, so many of those same Celebs "that have made it" -- hate themselves, squander their wealth, drink or drug themselves into oblivion, (or utter stupidity), and commit suicide. Could it be Fame & Fortune is not at all what it is cracked up to be? Can't money buy you happiness? Maybe there is something more meaningful in life that they miss out on, when money, and themselves, becomes their god! It is so sad. I hope Mork gets to see Orson! Oh Shazbot!

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are plenty of people that aren't famous suffering from the same disease as Robin Williams did from a wide range of backgrounds. When they unfortunately commit suicide, it just isn't national news.

fuzzy1, sfv41901 and Chuck. like this.
  4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is very true.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it really necessary to broadcast the gory details? Such only serves to inspire those on the verge to quickly follow suit before they can think long enough to reach out for help.

Mentioning and pointing to the available help would be far more productive.
    Most news media suppress the vast majority of individual suicide reports. Like flashy mass murders, the field contains far too many folks on the verge of being copycats.

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm more interested in what led him to make his decision. He was trying to sell his ranch the past two years and did not take the cancellation of his TV series this year very well. I can understand why that might have gotten him down.

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Add to that he's was now nearing his mid 60's where barring a few notable exceptions- TV/movie roles are few and far between.
    If you're predisposed to looking at the down side of things... all the above add up.

8. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ then it was just one more challenge and he snapped. :(

10. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you see life as being all about yourself, and not others, I guess you can almost understand Robin's actions. Yet, he had $50 million+ net worth, mere photo's do not do his ranch justice, (I've been there), and it was listed for $29 million. Most of us, could live on a measly $1 million for the rest of our lives.... Robin's "ranch":

Robin Williams' Napa Retreat - In Photos: Robin Williams' $29.9 Million Napa Valley Estate - Forbes

I have worked for and talked with, (even went to high school with), so many celeb's in the Napa Valley, that "had so much"! Yet, it always amazed me how in the long run, so few, were actually 'Happy", or had any real "Peace". So many, had such turmoil.

Lots of Money, or no money. Good health, bad health. Good looks, or not so good looks, still leaves one thing lacking. There is a hole in our souls, only one thing can truly fill, most spend their lives running from it, some find it. IMHO

11. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was listening to The Moth radio hour, there's poignant mention of Robin, in Colin Quinn's "Toast" (in particular near the end), on this page:

Stories | The Moth

(misbehaving for me on IE, ok on FireFox)
    (Small Town Prisoner is worth a listen, too;))
    (Heck, they're all good)

#32 Mendel Leisk, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see this a lot in sports, but it may be true in entertainment. People at the peak of their careers will live like that kind of cash flow will continue forever - it often does not. Fewer roles and alimony put a lot of stress on Robin Williams. Then he was losing his health.

14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't like to judge, but I do like to think things through. It's quite possible Robin Williams himself did not know all the factors creating the situation he found himself in, so every statement of what caused his suicide is opinion. What I would point out is that early age drug abuse has old age ripple effects. We do not know the strength and effects of his ripple effects, but only to focus on the most recent events in his life may be overfocusing on the here and now...as most media reporting only does focus on the here and now.

15. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. It is human nature to speculate but the only one who has the answers is dead. It is a shame that someone who brought a lot of light into people's lives ended up in such a dark place.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    #36 tochatihu, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    ETC(SS) and Mendel Leisk like this.