1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rodents eating cabin filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Perkolator, May 17, 2017.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been having an issue with rodents somehow getting into my Prius.

I first noticed it last year when I saw some paw tracks in the dust below my center console bridge thingy as well as some evidence a rodent was inside my glovebox. Luckily they didn't chew everything up but when I took it in for service two months ago they said the cabin air filter had rodent damage (most expensive cabin filter ever BTW -- $55 installed for a $8 filter that takes 1min to install)

Well it happened again, last service they said there was rodent damage on the cabin filter again, I opted to replace it myself this time (last time they couldn't get hold of me and my father in law answered the phone, he's a non-DIY person and had them just do the filter change without asking how much $). I've noticed no evidence of rodents in the car, nothing in the glovebox or anywhere else.

Thinking they are getting into the car through the cabin air intake. Hoping someone can point me in the direction of where to investigate trying to create some sort of steel baffle to stop these bastards

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're very fortunate that the damage hasn't been worse. idk if there is a surefire method, but just type in 'mice' and search. there's lots of threads and remedies, from total car steel mesh to peppermint to a new kitty.
    i can't keep them out of my house, so if they get in the cars, i'm sool.
    all the best!(y)

3. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, I've had the same problem. notice a nasty urine-y odor, and the filter's all chewed up. I haven't had any living in my car, but others have had serious engine damage from the little critters dining on the wiring insulation. In the green movement, toyota went to a soy based insulation, and the mice love it. Like bisco said, search for mice on these threads and you'll find lots of info.

But I'd put kill traps down right away all around the car first. Just to get some protection for your Prius.

CNYhybrid likes this.
  4. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    A wire mesh installed at the air intake should help

Montgomery likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was cleaning out the leaves around the car and decided to look under the hood - found some dry-roasted maggots and caked dirt around the oil filler cap. Also, mouse or rat droppings (7-8 pieces) near the inverter and a couple more near the engine. Never had that problem before. The car was serviced in March so it happened some time between then and now. Must be the next door construction.

6. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Best is to bait them some where else! Today's vehicles uses organics , seats, wires, tires, plastic trims etc. So it's tasty to them. Or get a army of Cats!

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Can't be rat, we don't have them in Alberta. ;) Most likely Deer Mice. They carry Hanta virus. Be careful when cleaning up the droppings and washing out the dried urine. Use bleach and spray it first before cleaning. A good mask is also recommended.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe... :ROFLMAO:

Rodents in the engine bay are impossible to thwart with screens, due to gaping openings in the wheel wells, that can't be avoided. Not sure what would be good for that: fox pee, something similar, acts as a repellent?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I just used a thick pair of rubber gloves and rinsed the engine bay. Brushed a few areas with soap and rinsed again.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In this thread, you'll find the Prius Maintenance Videos:
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Study the video for spark plug replacement. It's something you can do with very basic tools, like a $50 Sears Craftsman ratchet kit.

You don't need to replace your spark plugs (although you may want to while you're at it). This procedure shows clearly and exactly how to remove all of the metal which covers the cabin air intake. There are three inlets. You'll need to install thick wire mesh over all three. Easiest way is probably to drill in sheet metal screws with big washers. It doesn't need to be pretty.

Of course, before you put the wire mesh on, you'll want to CLEAN the daylights out of everything. If these rodents can carry Hanta virus, and this is blowing air into the cabin you breathe, I would clean and bleach every bit I could reach, and I'd get a scrub brush inside the inlet and clean some more. The upside to all this will be having fresh clean air to breathe when you use you vents or heater.

There are two other intakes into the Prius which are in the rear of the car. You need the same wire mesh treatment over them; these openings would allow rodents near your hatch and traction battery area.

Perkolator likes this.
  11. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've not seen this mentioned......there is also a "Rain/Water" drain (under the car) for water that enters the fresh air intake below the windshield.....tricky to "Screen" this, as it may trap debris that also enters the windshield air intake & is washed down to be expelled underneath ....a garden/hose running into the upper intake will show where it discharges below....:(

#11 Tande, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is that opening large enough for a mouse? The usual route is through the cabin fresh air intake behind the passenger side windshield area. We know this because the rodents wind up nesting in the cabin air filter, which is where the fresh air intake leads.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On CBC radio this morning, someone phoned in to say they leave a radio tuned to CBC Radio One, in the garage, round the clock. Repels rats and mice. The speculated it might be because they shy away from human voices?

Must wait 26 seconds...

Must wait 10 seconds...

14. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem is when a mouse/rat has been in your car, it will continue to return until you kill it. The urine/poop will then attract other rodents. Rodents will chew on things to keep there teeth sharp, They will chew through wires, plastic and rubber hoses. I put snap traps with peanut butter to kill/catch these suckers. I live in the city and they are everywhere. The cats chase them and then they hide in the engine bay. They also like the engine's warmth during winter months. These rodents can smell food in the car and will get in at any means. I had a rat make a nest in my intake plenum on my ridgeline and it ate the soy based insulation on the knock sensor wires. The new knock sensor was wrapped in honda's rodent repellent tape. Neighbors eclipse caught fire because of the rats.I recommend you remove the windshield wiper cowl, clean everything and install a metal screen to prevent them from coming in. self taping screws or rivets should work fine.

Prius 2011 fresh air intake, your friends are entering here!
    IMG_0118.JPG
    Wrap wires in this if they are eating it,
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.38.00 PM.png
    Not my car, the work of a hairy devil.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.40.09 PM.png

#14 danlatu, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coolant will kill the rats but it will kill the cats too.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well.......I will suggest that we already know it's large enough to be "Self/Cleaning" (debris doesn't plug it up), it's probably large enough for a mouse (maybe a small mouse...(y)).....all routes lead to the cabin air filter.....

17. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will look for these intakes and will install some sort of steel hardware cloth over them.

BTW I got a pair of carbon scrubbing cabin filters on Amazon - 2 for like $12. Literally the next time I have to install one it will take me about 15 seconds, can't believe Toyota wants and extra $40 to do this service.

Rebound likes this.
  18. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    upload_2017-8-30_8-36-53.png

The mice are alive and well in TN!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member