1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rodney Dangerfield of Prime wantabee owners

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by huskers, Dec 20, 2016.

1. svrider

svrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've got a 2010 Prius and love it. It is not a plug-in. What is the big attraction of the Prime? Twenty-five miles EV I understand, but isn't the battery bigger, more expensive plus the charging system for plug-in? Also with Trump we probably won't see $4 gas anywhere but California. Please educate me, and be gentle.

SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using PriusChat mobile app

2. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    svrider, for me, it's the overall car.I have a 2104 Prius and I am not thrilled with the car. I hate the flying buttress and the seat is horribly uncomfortable. I have over a 50 mile commute each way every day, and sitting in that seat 3 hours a day is rough. The seats are supposedly much better and the suspension is also greatly improved for the Prime. Compared to the new version of Prius, the Prime EV 25 miles covers half my commute, strategically I can use it during the rush hour stop and go and city portions of my commute and I figure cut my gas use in half over the standard prius.

Also, gas by me went up 25 cents a week ago, and another 25 cents yesterday. It's now well over 2.50/g, and I only pay about 13 cents/KWH for electric. I won't put money on any bet that gas won't go over $4/g again. For me, Prime will have less "fuel" costs, but more importantly, less cash to big oil.

Does it makes sense to trade a '14 for a '17? financially, no, but less trips to the gas station in zero degree weather matter more to me.

svrider likes this.
  3. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For me, it is suite of safety features that weren't available with my 2009 Prius.

svrider likes this.
  4. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have only seen 1 other Prius Prime here in SF Bay, it was a White one, since I got mine on 11/11.

svrider likes this.
  5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. It's quieter than the regular generation 4, which itself is way quieter than your 2010.
    2. When in Ev mode, it's even quieter yet.
    3. It is more responsive to throttle inputs than the generation 4, which itself is more responsive than your generation 3.
    4. 25 miles (sufficient for almost all of my around-town usage) of Ev range means getting further away from using petroleum for energy.
    5. With the tax credit in my area, a Prime Advanced will cost around the same as a 2017 Prius Two Eco.
    6. I can get a HUD and a Homelink mirror without having to get a sunroof.
    7. More "cubbies" to store things out-of-sight than the G4, but still not as good as your 2010.
    8. The back seat really is more comfortable.
    9. Better visibility out the back window.
    10. Environmental pre-conditioning in my garage.

Tideland Prius and svrider like this.
  6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is that the Gen-25?

7. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hahaha! Yes, it's got the new di-lithium crystal ion drive. It gets an amazing 0-60 in 1.5 seconds and 600mpge, but I still get tailgated and honked at and passed on the right shoulder.

DonDNH likes this.
  8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Should have got the Advanced version. Comes with photon torpedoes for such situations.

Prius Maximus and huskers like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if trumps buddies are in the fossil fuel business, won't gas prices go up?

downside is, yes the battery is bigger and takes up the middle rear seat, and 3" of hatch floor height.

the charging system comes with the car, no extra charge.;)