1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roku is dead ... long live LG

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 25, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While watching broadcast TV Saturday morning, the Roku screen went dark while the audio still worked. Power ON reset did not clear it nor a YouTube recommended remote diagnostic restart. Over five year old, the repair costs as much as a new one with a warrantee and modern technology.

So off to COSTCO and home again with an LG TV and an extra two years of warrantee. Compared to the Roku, all of the interfaces are on the more easily accessible side. Even mounting was simpler and the built-in apps more complete. For example, it has MacTV, YouTube, and even a web browser. The only challenge is the wireless, remote control that uses a gamer's motion sensor. Worse, I don't care for a single remote that can lost or damaged and the LG is probably unique.

Bob Wilson

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just recently upgraded our video entertainment platform from a 2011 42 inch LG to a 55 inch Sony. This was also because of a Roku device, their new sound bar, which needed HDMI with ARC (audio return channel) that the LG didn't support. The sound bar came with a work-around in the form of an optical cable, but the interface was still limited. So I finally made the leap to 4K, and I'm rather pleased with the Android OS. The steady march of programmed obsolesce continues...

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We "upgraded" to a LG 55" CX OLED this summer for our new house -- well -- actually, wifey did. I was looking at a $400 Samsung.

But, she insisted. We bought it from a Washington/Oregon video store chain for $250 less than last year's model that was still being sold at Costco. No two-year warranty, but figured the savings were worth.

I have to admit, it is a wonder. We only have it hooked up to a Mohu blade amplified antenna and it gets 48 OTA stations plus the whole slate of "free" LG channels pulled from the internet. Who needs NetFlix or satellite or cable.

Everytime I look at the picture, it is almost as if I am actually "there."

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our LG 50", 50UN7300AUD, replaced exactly our Roku and was on sale, $349.49. Some of the Apps are a little rough but mostly usable. For example, their YouTube App has yet to figure out my regular channels and the MacTV could be better. Regardless, I can turn on the connected MacTV unit and everything works as expected.

My amplified antenna was powered off so it only discovered the strong channels. I tried to rediscover all channels but it only kept the initial (and most useful) set.

The picture is 'tunable' too with seven settings.

My one concern was the unique remote ... there won't be a 'bingo pack' at WalMart. Happily it turns out there are at least four iPhone Apps that can control the LG TV (or claim.)

Bob Wilson

5. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to bring this up, there's another issue that we all will have to deal with in a few years. ATSC 3.0 rollout. See here.

ATSC 3.0 is 4K and 7.1.4 sound capable.

If you get your TV signals OTA (over the air) your tuner is almost certainly a pre ATSC 3.0 device whether it's the built in tuner, or a Silicone Dust device, etc. The old ATSC signals will continue to be broadcast for up to 5 years and then shut off. If you don't have an ATSC 3.0 adapter or tuner, you will not be able to get OTA TV.

I get 99% of our content OTA and I have 8 tuners in a PVR that will have to be upgraded at some point. ATSC 3.0 has already been rolled out here in OKC. The problem is there are few adapters in existence yet. Samsung say the only TV that will have ATSC 3.0 is the 82" size. Silicone Dust has a quad tuner but only 2 are ATSC 3.0. Junk.

Just file this away and keep it in mind. You will hear about it again later.

Merkey likes this.
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can check out Locast.org for local channels in your area.
    All you need is internet and the app.
    Free to try and donations are welcomed to help keep things running.

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WHAT!!!!

aLL i GET IS THE ota CHANNELS. i HAVE AN not sure but around 2007 Panasonic plasma....It works fine on some 16 channels.. EEK.

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The Sony I got (XBR-55X900H) promises a firmware update to ATSC 3.0 when available. That was the other deal clincher. Trying to stay ahead of programmed obsolescence this time.

Mark57 likes this.
  9. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry guys, I've not had electricity for 9 days now. We had a major ice storm with 500,000 out and it's now down to 105,000 with now power. I'm still off.

There will be adapters coming out at some point. Darn few right now. The key is your own area. Once they start broadcasting ATSC 3.0 in your market, you'll have 3 - 5 years to convert or get an adapter before the shut off the original signal. You will need to re-scan channels once the start broadcasting ATSC 3.0 since allocations will change.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I saw the storm on the radar map. My last Oklahoma storm was 'black ice' in 1970. I made it to grandmother Adams and the wood stove and propane range worked. The bedroom I stayed in was not heated ... plenty of blankets but once in one position, don't move.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 likes this.
  11. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Largest outage in state history.

it's been 12 days and we still have over 40,000 right in the city that have no power. My power came back on Tuesday after 9 days.

I had a 2004 Generac 3,250 watt portable generator that threw a rod after 6 days. I was fortunate to find a close Home Depot that just got in a shipment of Ryobi 6,500 watt monsters (ry906500s) @ 195 lbs. Dayum heavy especially just 3 weeks after my hip replacement. Since it was the only generator in 200 miles, I bought it and was glad I had the 4Runner to haul it. It worked great on the refrigerator and a lot of small stuff. I had 6 AWG extension cords all over the house. The weather warmed into the 70's so heat wasn't an issue after two days.

We had a big power bump yesterday so I still have not drained the gas from it yet. Six houses right next to us lost a pad mount transformer and are back off again.

We have almost 4,000 linemen in from 20 states working on the restoration. Ice storms are terrible for damage and restoration when all the leaves are still on the trees. Most of ours had not even turned colors yet.

ATSC 3.0 is sort of sneaking in. We have it live on all but one station and there's been nothing said about it locally.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In 2016 when I gave away our 2003 Prius with the 1.1 kW inverter, I had the house service upgraded from 100A to 200A and added a 16 kW, natural gas generator. Once a week, it comes on for about 10-15 minutes so we know it is ready to go.

Yes, 16 kW is overkill but I offer my neighbors an extension cord good for 12 A and we can charge either of our EVs.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 and Diemaster like this.
  13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a LOT of neighbors talking about whole house natural gas generators this week. They were balking at the price. I also reminded them that I could count on one hand the number of times we've lost power for more than an hour since 2004 and only one of those was overnight until this week. Whole house would be nice, but I'll keep the Ryobi and its 20a plugs for now.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In my case, it was concern for my wife's health and safety. I knew there would be outages when I was not hookup and start the Prius, our emergency generator. But each to their own requirements:
    • GOOD - yes, 2x the home requirement with excess for EV charging, ~7.7 kW (32A @240VAC). No running extension cords. Safe interlock to avoid back-feeding the grid (repair crew safety.)
    • FAST - yes, typically 30 seconds to startup.
    • CHEAP
    Bob Wilson

15. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    True, your situation is different and a perfect fit. I haven't measured our potential whole house requirement. With gas heat the summer A/C is the biggie except for my computer room.;) When you're limited on watts, it's amazing to see what everything uses especially at startup.

I considered adding whole house when we built in 2004 but the infant HOA was not sure hows the decibel levels would fit in. As it turns out I'm certain a big Generac would be quieter than the Ryobi 6500 I have. It's rated 72.3 dB but sounds a lot louder. Loud enough that you don't want to spend any longer close to it than it takes to put 6 gallons in it when it's running.