1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rolled the Prius, I included pictures.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by That_Prius_Car, Jul 7, 2010.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, because the Gen. I prius'es hood is so low to the ground, I know the deer would have went up the hood and through the windshield. I wasn't really speeding honestly, the speed limit here on the country road I was on is 55 and I was going around 48 to 50mph. Its very flat with no hills or turns so it was a pretty good speed for that time. The funny thing is though, when driving because the road has so much tar and oil, it sounded as if I was driving on water! I think thats what made me fish tale. This Prius though, I thought the roof was just going to cave in and break my neck, and I remember when it was flipping, seeing the windshield cracking and seeing the roof buckle in about three inches.

2. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some BEFORE pictures ):

3. espressoTrae

espressoTrae New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad you're okay !

1 person likes this.
  4. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too haha. Thanks! :)

5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Say that again? lol.
    What do you mean you smell a part out?
    :)

6. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He smells a part out. You know, parting the car and selling it off. So... I'm not sure if he mentioned it anywhere in here, but I was riding shotgun. I was the one on the right side of the car when it smashed into the ground skidded sideways and landed on the top. There was a certain smell to it. Almost like getting hit in the nose. I put my feet on the ceiling and unbuckled, and told him to do the same, but ... (haha) he just unbuckled and whopped right into the roof. Scared the living crap out of me. I can't be more happy about that car and how it performed. I'm also glad we were wearing our seatbelts, and that I was on the side that it rolled on.

-Brad

7. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol I'm more sore than he is.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good that you guys are ok. If that had been a ford or something you both would probably be dead.

Driving classes are a good thing for insurance if you havent already done any, but really they dont teach you anything you cant do on your own. In this situation, I think you did the right thing even if for the wrong reason. Like said before, if you did hit it right on the deer would have more than likely gone through the windshield.

Again, glad you guys are ok. I doubt the insurance company will let you take parts off of it for scraps. But if they do, then go for it. :)

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awww, Brad, poor baby :hug:

If you have access to a hot tub, you might think about spending some quality time in it. :p

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another "glad you're OK" to you!

Several have commented about how well the car protected you. That's true, but IMHO, more important is that you protected you. By wearing your seat belt. In my line of work (EMS) I've seen rollovers with less damage than this kill a (sturdily made) car's occupants when they bounce around the interior or are tossed out of the window. On the other hand, I've seen considerably worse than this (think NASCAR and Daytona) where occupants walk away. Congratulations for good safety habits.

1 person likes this.
  11. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha, I will offer it to him. I know a place or two. :p

12. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely Jimbo, I am all about seat belts! and to Toaster, I only had liability. :( It is now our pile of junk to do what we want with. :)

My parents have a farm, and it's there, so I can leave it there as long as I need to. Austin already made me guarantee another gen1 purchase in the future. LOL He is already looking for work to get one on his own. :(

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, 7 hours from Huntsville AL. Wait for cooler, fall weather and we could field dress it, 'to part it out.' Then haul the rest to the scrap yard. When done:

• vehicle ECUs (and pig-tails)
    • traction battery (needs to be put on sustaining charge soon, 3-4 months)
    • inverter
    • transaxle
    • accelerator
    • usable doors (if undamaged)
    • e.t.c.
    • ICE
    • HC converter
    • undamaged wheels
    • salable exhaust parts
    [​IMG]

Then there is the 'radical rebuild' thought:

• find 'salvage' 1.5L Toyota like: Scion xB
    • transplant Prius ICE, transaxle, and parts to make the first, North American, mini-hybrid van
    • I'll bring the arc welder!
    Finally, there is the most radical thought ... build a tubular frame and build a one-of-a-kind hybrid with Prius parts. Bent or broken parts get replaced, electronics and wiring get transplanted but first build a steel frame to hold everything and get it running. Then use foam and fiberglass to make the shell. You could have the first hybrid convertible ... what a solar roof dreams of being. Perhaps there is kit-car designed for the 1.5L Toyota drivetrains?

Bob Wilson

14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I wasn't the driver in this situation, I can't say I would've done any better, but growing up in a rural deer-filled area, I've learned to scan the road ditches, right, left, right, left, as I drive at night (unless there's a lot of traffic). Generally you can see their eyes reflecting long before you see the rest of them.

And if you see one deer cross the road, don't watch that deer, instead watch to see if another deer will follow it out, since they often travel in a small group (especially in the suburbs where the deer population has exploded in recent decades). If you do see a deer, always slow down since another might be nearby or it might get spooked and run back across the road or something.

The closest I've come to that is a deer once ran into my car, driver's side door, as I was going about 20 mph. I had slowed down to maybe 30-40 but thought the deer was safely away from me when it panicked and zig-zagged, so I braked but it hit my car as I was going by. Left a little fur on my door, but otherwise we were both okay.

College was 3 hours away from home and sometimes I gave a girl that lived nearby a lift home. I thought I was pretty good with spotting deer but she saw deer first and some I never saw even after she pointed. So I learned to never get cocky with my driving abilities or perceived sense of safety.

1 person likes this.
  15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dune Buggy! The VW bug has had it's run, now it's time for another vehicle to take its place as an all-purpose starting platform.

1 person likes this.
  16. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Glad your ok! That definitely makes me feel better about my 02 Prius. I was half considering selling it to get a really safe car since I'm now pregnant with my first child, but seeing that I think I'll keep my Prius. Fun, safe and saves me on gas! How could you get any better? :)

Also, Not to sound insensitive or anything...but....If you do part it out I could use some parts!! Probably the ignition, with key(s), the trunk lock, the door locks since the new key won't fit the doors, essentially everything to do with the key and locks. And the thing inside the doors that keeps the power doors working (2 of mine stopped working) for the drivers door and the passenger rear door. And maybe the floor mats if they're not to disgusting. And the mat from the trunk. And I'm sure there's more but I'm too tired to think of more. I can probably make the trip to pick up things from it, though I don't know how to effectively remove the ignitions and locks and such without damageing them beyong repair, and shipping would be easier...

1 person likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    saw a great show on hd theatre yesterday. international students at mit building alternative fuel vehicles in a team competition. electric, fuel cell, veggie oil diesel, it was great to watch these brilliant and talented kids get to work. and they had some nice facilities and materials to work with.

1 person likes this.
  18. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, my dad is the one currently messing with the car. He's under the dillusion he can fix it. I mean, I know he can... but I wouldn't want to ever roll it a 2nd time, it could be significantly compromised. Austin agrees. Anyways, I think we will most likely part it out, or keep it for ourselves for parts. HAHA

Oh, and thanks for the reply nerfer. The deer actually ran out of some tall corn and surprised us. We also know about the whole hit-the-deer thing, but I have consistently avoided deer all together in newer priuses with VSC. I guess it's important to keep it in your mind what car you are driving, and what it's capabilities are.

19. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, It ran into your door? That happened to my sister once! She was quite confused but then she knew that it was scared. I'll be sure to keep looking out!

20. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it doesn't make you sound bad. :) But unfortunately, this one has the same problems with its locks, not the IGN though, it works good. But the locks are bad. ): I have the floor mats and there in "OK" shape I guess. They have the little leaf symbol and it says PRIUS beside it. :)