1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rolling on "Rubberbands"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius70, Aug 23, 2008.

1. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

Just got some new wheels. . .

Rims centerline 19x7.5 18lbs each

Tires General Exclaim 215 35 19 19lbs each

Ride is not that bad and still getting over 40mpg readout even though wheels are larger than stock and tires are not "broken in" yet. . .

Attached Files:

2. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looks nice with it lowered, too. Reminds me of a concept sketch. But you forgot to apply tire dressing to make the tires nice and black! ;)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, that looks really nice.

4. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

thanx for the compliments. . .

yeah james, i should break out the armor all!!

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very, very nice.

6. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How rough is the ride now? I'm curious

7. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

it's hard to say. . .i was very used to my 18's with 40 series tires which were really comfortable at 32lbs. these 35 series tires are noticably stiffer and more reactive but i've got them at 42lbs right now.

i do mostly freeway driving and they are fine even at 42lbs. . .

8. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

update:

lowered the tire pressure to 38lbs all around and ride is real nice

gas mileage is also improving!

Attached Files:

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    now i don't feel like i am the only one with a black prius with little scratches and
    marks over it

how much did you spend? what is the bolt pattern for prius? curious.

tint your windows

i kind of like armor all tire foam, you just spray it on and leave it alone, no rubbing.
    $5 for a can

might discolor driveways so you want to move the car and then rinse it off the driveway

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bolt pattern for Prius is 5x100
    I like the wheels, please add some valve stem caps, Black.
    I am just worried that with such a low profile tire you are going to bend rims or blow out tires. Be careful for pot holes, etc. I do like the look.

11. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised but I think it looks good too. I don't normally care for the lowered look on rubber bands and huge rims, but it seems to work with the Prius, oddly enough. Probably lowering your car helps to make up for some of the lost mpgs a little bit too.

After reading that a 205 15" tire that's 5 lbs heavier than stock can decrease mpgs by 5 miles, looks like you're losing about the same amount of mpgs with much larger wheels that also increase the weight by the same amount. Guess that's a no-brainer, but it's nice it can be done without too much sacrifice in mileage.

12. mrplease

mrplease New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    only thing is the mpg isn't accurate because you changed the over all diameter of the rim. neither is your miles per hour on your speedometer.

looks sick though!

13. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not necessarily true. When you install a larger rim, you are also supposed to couple it with a lower-profile tire so that the overall diameter of the wheel is the same. That's why the tires are "rubber bands" -- in order to keep the same size wheel/tire combo. That being said, sometimes it ends up not being exactly the same, and in that case, you're right, it does impact the mpgs and mph to some extent.

14. mrplease

mrplease New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i owned a rim and tire shop for 5 years which i sold last year. now i don't know everything about them i know a good amount more than most.

if you do your proper homework what you said can be true...

the factory prius tires are 185/65/15. which gives the overall height of 24.47".

now the only way to achieve the exact accurate speedometer is to get that exact factory height.

i just put some 18" wheels and tires on my wifes new prius and i made sure i achieved exactly that.

i went with a 205/40/18 nitto tire which gave me an overall height of 24.46"

by doing that i kept the speedometer in tact and kept a accurate gauge on my miles per gallon.

NOW THAT BEING SAID...

the original poster prius70 went with a 215/35/19 which has an overall height of 25.01" which is about a 1/2" in difference in height. now a half inch isn't going to much, but it will make more of a difference than you think. probably about 3 miles difference on the speedometer when your traveling at 60 mph. it adds up over a full tank of gas.

but prius70 did a great job getting a tire that is real close to the stock size...

for example, on my cadillac cts i went from a 225/55/16 (25.74" height) to a 245/30/22 (27.9" height) a difference of about 2.25". my speedometer was saying 60 mph when i was actually going 70-71 mph.

so even though i went with rubberbands for tires the overall height was way more than the overall stock height so it still made a huge difference in the mpg/mph.

(i still have my tire size calculator program)

15. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not to mention, it's probably more difficult to retain the same height the more you step up in wheel size. Going from 15 to 16 or 17 isn't quite like jumping to 18s and 19s and then trying to find a rubber band to retain the same diameter.

16. mrplease

mrplease New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you got it...

17. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

some good discussion above. . .

rim and tire combo are 38lbs each now which helps with mpg for sure

my stock combo was around 31lbs each and i was getting 50mpg

rims are 350 dollars each new direct from centerline but i got a deal on a used set

tires are just under 600 dollars from JUST tires with lifetime road hazard (definitely worth buying with these skinny things) and lifetime balance/rotation

i haven't been able to find a hybrid civic to drive next to and see how far my mphs are off. . .those civics have big readouts you could see from across a highway lane. . .

i haven't even tried to figure out what the 1/2 inch wheel diameter difference does to my odometer reading. . .there must be a formula somewhere that deals with diameter, circumference, etc

they don't make a 30 series tire for my rims to keep the same overall diameter as stock and i'm not sure i would buy them anyway because the 35's are skinny enough!

lowering the pressure on these skinny tires really made an exponential difference in ride quality vs varying the stock tires to do the same

pics are direct from tire shop to house. . .no tire dressing, no washing, and no tire caps! i've done all three since. . .

scratches on car. . .no

dirt on car. . .yes. . .it's hard to "keep" a black car. . .

windows are tinted with ceramic 50 all around except windshield which is 60. ceramic has the best heat rejection and with the uv protection keeps the leather supple and nice inside

it was quite painful to lower the car, but lowering the car really completes the "look" and thanx for compliments

btw: buy a digital tire gauge, there is a lot of discussion online in many different forums about accuracy between digital vs "mechanical" tires gauges. . .digital is the way to go!

accutire makes a simple one you could buy off of ebay for 10 bucks shipped from some vendors. . .accurate to .5lbs!

my kragen tire inflater with built in gauge was sometimes 2-4lbs off i found, check it out for yourself. . .

18. mrplease

mrplease New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    heres what you can do to tell how fast you are going...

i have a portable garmin mostly for trips for rental cars. but either way it has a mph reading. they are 100% accurate. if i'm going 78mph in a rental car the portable garmin will read 78 mph. thats usually the easiest way and you can always find someone who has one...

19. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your new wheels/tires will read about 2% lower than the stock wheel/tire setup. Really, close, actually.

If you want to see how far it's really off, try to find some mile markers on the highway. If you can find 5 miles worth, reset or note the odometer at the start and end and you can get a good idea of how close you are. You should only be off by a tenth or two of a mile depending on how close the stock calibration was.

Probably need 10 miles worth of mile markers to get a really good idea, or like mrplease suggested, a GPS device.

20. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wouldn't the tire width, if wider than stock also contribute to rolling resistance and decrease mpg?
    However, I am all for the better looks over sacrificing a few miles !