1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof Mounted Bicycle Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mira, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Mira

Mira New Member

Hello!

I bicycle race and frequently carry my racing bicycles on a roof mounted Yakima/Thule rack along with carring equipment inside sometimes on long distance trips. Will a Prius have enough power to handle the additional wind drag and sometimes hills or mountains? Will gas mileage be drastically affected? I am considering either a 2005 Prius or a Toyota Matrix 5 speed. Which one would be better?

Since I commute to work by bicycle there may be times the car is not driven for days or even weeks. Will that be a concern too regarding a Prius?

Thank You!

Mira

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Mira,

I'm interested in hearing what the responses will be to the Thule rack on top also...

A friend of mine drove a Prius from Tenn to NH with two bikes on the roof and thought that car was a dog the whole way. Much power lost to the wind drag. do not know what the gas mileage was....

From this, and not wanting to have the rack on the roof all the time diminishing the aerodynamics of the car, I opted for the Coastal Tech receiver hitch:

http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm

I'll get a bike carrier this spring. Being able to take the bike carrier on and off very easily and having the bikes on the back versus up high, the effect on mpg and car power will less than if on the roof.

Cheers,

-bob

3. ifogel

ifogel New Member

I had been using the Bones rack but hate putting it on and taking it off. I am also interested in previous experience with roof mounted bicycle racks.

Ira