1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof Rack - homemade, cheap, works

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BK.NYC.55, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BK.NYC.55

BK.NYC.55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello -
    I needed a roof rack, and didn’t want to invest time and the money in a commercial one because I only expect to need one occasionally. A quick trip to a store and four cuts with a jigsaw and I was in business.

CE1A2E2A-326D-4FA9-8CCE-087028586A9F.jpeg C28A672A-E9B5-4BE8-8398-1CEA474ED0D5.jpeg CEB5565F-4E91-41C2-A333-C1C03B5B55E7.jpeg
    As you can see I cut 2x4’s down so they overhang the roof but don’t exceed the width of the car body. I notched the ends - roughly 1”x1” cuts.
    The 2x4’s are stacked on cut pieces of 1” thick rigid house insulation foam, which I chose because it’s less likely to scratch the roof (although as you can see my Prius comes pre-loaded with scratches); the foam was sold in 2’ squares instead of 4’x8’ panels; AND it’s easy to cut with a razor knife.
    I used ratchet straps to hold the racks onto the top of the car - they were run through opened doors, and the doors closed fine and I don’t think they damaged the foam door seal at all. The racks were very solidly held & stable. You could build in more front-back stability by screwing the 2x4’s to a short cross piece of 2x4, putting something softer like foam rubber, neoprene, or insulation foam under the 2x4 pieces.
    Next time I’ll position the forward ratchet strap a little farther forward and be careful to position the ratchet in the middle of the car because the strap & ratchet were too close to my forehead!
    And now fear of a lawsuit prompts me to add that I make no claim that this is a safe plan. The strap across the interior roof is of particular concern for all except those whose head is below it.
    And yes, of course it impact MPG. But with less of an impact on your wallet than some alternatives.

Peace

Attached Files:

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great ingenuity, the only lawsuit id throw at ya is for not buying $1 microfiber towels and put them between foam and car surface :D

RMB likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We strapped down a surfboard using something like that, directly onto the roof. Only thing was the ominous sound the straps made once you got up to any speed. Couldn't wait to get it off, lol.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I heard somewhere the trick to the noise from the vibration is to put a twist in the strap so it doesn't lay flat. I have never tried this myself.

fuzzy1, GrGramps and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. BK.NYC.55

BK.NYC.55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Mendel and Padroo!

6. lvidmar

lvidmar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, a twist in a strap cuts out the whistle effect.

This roof rack is genius for a very occasional (short distance, low speed) lumber yard run.

Mendel Leisk likes this.