Roof rack

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by 14PriusC-NH, Apr 2, 2016.

1. 14PriusC-NH

14PriusC-NH New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Anyone put rails on the roof of the car? I'm thinking of putting custom one on, but I'm curious if anyone had done it yet, and has pictures, suggestions.

2. Squeakasaur

Squeakasaur Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am picking up my new '16 C today and am wondering the same thing. I am downsizing from a '14 ford escape and love to travel but I have been googling for a roof rack and have found pictures but thats it.

3. Slolane

Slolane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I went with the Rhino Rack, here are the details...
    - Rhino Rack DA106B-DK351 (2500 AERO Roof Rack System, 41" Bars)
    - Wind Fairing - 32"

[​IMG]

Squeakasaur likes this.
  4. Will N

Will N Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a 2015 Prius V with an old Yakima rack,

5. Will N

Will N Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a 2015 Prius V with a Yakima rack, Q-towers.... (I don't like Yakima and Thule, over priced, over hyped.... I realized that I'd just slapped them on, tightened them down, loaded up a kayak (50 pounds with a little water still inside...) 19' long. A pretty good drivability acid-test. Drives fine, done it probably 30 times in the past year. So a Prius can handle it. You've got a C, so that's another issue. Only recently did I go back and re-adjust the rails to the company specs. Now they're solid....
    Roof racks are not 'normal': properly installed with a kayak on them and no tie downs at the front and back.... you will lose the kayak. Guaranteed. I know enough people.... Loose, as mine were, but properly tied at the ends.... I don't recommend it, but I got away with it.
    TIP: A great trick for front tie downs on any vehicle, not just a Prius that doesn't seem to have anywhere to tie to is: 1. Raise the hood. Find the forward most bolt attaching the fender to the frame. Remove it. 2. Two loops of webbing. ( I think I used about 12" of 1" web that was very old) 3. Using a soldering iron or a bolt held in pliers heated up over a stove burner, melt holes near both ends of each piece of the webbing. Make them as close to the diameter of the bolt you removed. 4. Then just rebolt through the webbing. now you have loops on both sides of the hood to tie to and you can just fold them under the hood if you want to hide them. Done this for a few years--works great. (The fender bolts are I think more sheet metal with a flange, so you you don't need a washer. If you're nervous get a bolt 1/4- 1/2" longer.)
    Also: An inexpensive rack is as good as an expensive rack so long as it's attached correctly. Brand new Yaks and Thuls need locks or they'll get stolen. I loathe the round poles on the Yakima, all that expensive nonsense that connects to it just twists around. There's not enough money or torque to keep that from happening. (I guess Yakima dropped round poles)
    Gas mileage. I get between 40-43 mpg, driving around with the rack on with some overpriced and not very good kayak brackets I don't think I drop more than 1 mpg. It works pretty good. In a Prius C? something high profile like a kayak, with a large crosswind? Find out before you go tornado chasing in your C...

6. Zeb Bravo

Zeb Bravo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    l had a Yakima Rack with a 4 foot sign strapped to it. It flew off at Freeway Speeds. I drive fast! but lost another load driving slow but with fierce cross winds. Now I have replacement bars and strap them down good. As a final safety I open both rear doors and run a racket strap over the load and threw the inside of the car. Racket it down tight. Doors will shut and work normally. I haven't lost a load since.