1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof tent on 2007-08 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by muine, Jan 14, 2018.

1. muine

muine New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I will be buying a 2007-08 Prius in the near future. My goal is to attach a roof rack on which I will then attach a roof tent. It would be for my girlfriend and I so roughly 350lb + 95lb from the tent. Would the Prius support that for let's say 2 months?
    Thanks for thoughts or answers :)

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen2/3 Prius are used by many for camping, as two can fit in there nicely.
    But on the roof? never heard of that option.
    Habitents I bleieve makes a tent for the Prius back hatch.

srellim234 likes this.
  3. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A small trailer might be better. That's a lot of weight. Buuut, I'm sure they're designed for rollover protection sooooo.........

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My initial thought went to sleeping inside the car after transferring luggage, etc. to the roof rack and front seat as needed. No "weight support" issues that way. Folding down the rear seats and pulling the front seats forward gives you a decent enough bed. There are plenty of pictures and stories of good things pulling micro trailers, too, with a Prius.

https://priuschat.com/attachments/uploadfromtaptalk1334017277453-jpg.36575/

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can fit a twin sized mattress in the back of the Prius with the front seats folded flat or pushed all of the way forward. I have this mattress and sleep in it more than 10 nights a year on camping trips. Sometimes I sleep better on this than at home!

Millard Mattress Amazon Linky

Super comfortable and works great for sleeping with girlfriends too! They have a version that is less wide. I would go for a less wide version if I was going to be living out of my car solo.

I generally think it would be easier to do the opposite of what you propose - Install a cargo rack for your things and then sleep in the car.

#5 Kevin_Denver, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    srellim234 likes this.