1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Room for a few more ponies under the hood?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 21 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]336022[/snapback]</div>
    This is *exactly* what I was thinking about. If the Atkinson engine in the Prius is available as an Otto cycle engine in another model...

I don't think I'd get rid of any sound insulation or do other things like that.

After posting this topic initially, I actually felt like maybe I was wrong in considering such a thing, like I was violating some unwritten law! Like what the Toyota engineers and product people say about how much power the Prius should have, and how it is marketed in the US, is the last word or something.

Bah!!

Personally, I think a bit more power would add to the luxury feel of the car since the engine might not be so inclined to wind out...would keep sound levels lower in the cabin and reduce that thrummy four cylinder sound.

Not to mention, it would give me more choices when driving at a spirited pace, since power can be used to transfer weight and steer the car, too.

I would definitely *not* turbo the existing engine. I also would not just add a performance exhaust (don't think it would make any real difference, but I could be wrong) or nitrous oxide (don't *even* want to go there...I'm afraid that bang for the buck will translate into bang goes the engine). I'm thinking about a higher performance version of the stock engine...one that's *not* more peaky, but instead has nice even power delivery throughout the rpm and load range.

Perhaps Toyota and I were thinking along the same lines, after all!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 20 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]336008[/snapback]</div>
    Doc, do you think the Tom's exhaust will yield any more HP? I feel like the portion of the exhaust that's replaced really doesn't appear that restrictive...and it's only a 1.5 after all...

Ditto the cold air intake. My '06 has a zip tube that connects the air intake to cold outside air.

50hp would be great, but honestly I think even 20-25hp would be more than adequate for my needs.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]337427[/snapback]</div>
    I found an article on edmunds that had a few more details on the Prius GT. Didn't save the link, but it was fairly close to the top after googling Prius GT. Anyway, they claimed the engine was swapped with the 1.5 out of the Echo, the battery peak voltage was reprogrammed to be 550 instead of 500 as the two mods to get the power up by 37HP. Seems like an awful lot of work for that...

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]337427[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I'm really going to be doing this anytime soon, but I was thinking a turbo would compensate for thin air at high altitudes, and provide more power without affecting the gas consumption too much. What do you know that I don't? :)

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I actually think turbo'ing makes a lot of sense for this car. Think less of the peaky Saabs and something more like the low pressure turbos on some of the later Volvo models. Gives a broad power curve with no peakiness and driveability as you describe. I'd consider it, but the amount of fabrication required is way beyond my capabilities. Got a good friend with a machine shop?

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Pinto Girl,

1. New Iridium spark plugs
    2. Nology Hotwires
    3. K & N air filter
    4. K & N cold air intake
    5. New duel exhaust system to improve air flow.

There can always be something done but I don’t think it would be worth it. I just enjoy toying with the idea “What if.†What if we did everything to improve performance of the battery, motor, ICE, aerodynamics, solar, and weight reductions via carbon fiber that could possibly be done, would we get a 200 mpg Prius that could be driven everyday as an EV for 100 miles per charge and at a moments notice go cross country using gas?

“What if,†them is big words.

6. Pious

Pious New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]337447[/snapback]</div>

Blitz Japan made a showcar turbo Prius in Japan for the 2004 Tokyo Auto Salon. Supposedly boosted the ICE HP to around 120ish. Not for sale now, if ever. Too bad.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Oct 24 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]337485[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it really seems to make sense to me. The autospeed article I read made it sound like a lot of trial and error and fabrication involved, but the end result turned out pretty sweet (they turbocharged a 1st gen Prius with a goal of maintaining economy while improving performance).

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]337447[/snapback]</div>
    Well, he's becoming a better and better friend as I spend more and more money at his shop...

I think I'm most afraid of in a turbo installation is the additional heat and plumbing (not to mention another layer of computer control for the turbo and EFI, that then would have to interface with all the stuff that's already going on in the Prius' central nervous system) and, yes, the cost is a concern, too.

I've always preferred normally aspirated engines, besides. Although my only car with a turbo was an SVO Mustang and I *did not* like the drivability of the turbo 2.3 one bit. Regardless of how much power it had.

My thought was that I could have my mechanic build me a nice little Otto cycle 1.5 and (at least physically) bolt it to the PSD...and since, in CA, the Prius doesn't have to go through emissions certification...

Hmmmmmm...
    (not that I'm advocating breaking the law in any way, of course; I was just making an observation).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how difficult it would be to teach this new engine to speak to my Prius in its native tongue? Does this sound at all within the realm of possibility?

It would have to be done right, or not at all.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]337492[/snapback]</div>
    I'd think the Echo 1.5 would be a bolt in, but that scares me way more than adding a turbo... Does the Echo 1.5 have the same trick valve setup to let it hold the vavles open for smooth restarting? Is the Echo 1.5 going to be optimized for the RPMs that the computer will want to run it? It'd be an interesting project, to say the least.

I'd still vote for a turbo, the EFI compensates for the increased air flow, and with "normal operation", you are basically running a stock engine. From what I can remember of the article, they didn't really have to mess with fuel delivery or other issues. The hard part was the plumbing, i.e., manifolds, and moving things around, and finding room under the hood.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A turbo with the right engine managment system would be the best comprimise for efficiency and power. Your volumetric efficiency is much higher with a turbo than nearly any other form of power adder and under light throttle you are not increasing fuel needs much so milage stays high until you start boosting, then kiss you milage goodby. Least thats how all my V6 and V8 turbocharged setups have reacted. :)

I ran my Prius down the 1/4mile 14 times in one day and the battery was VERY low after about the 5th pass. To keep it charged up I would try driving with the brakes pressed or flooring it down the return road for a moment to get some speed then coast as far as I can. After about 10 passes the car kept getting slower and slower. I think we hypothesised that the electronics were heating up and lossing efficiency. I went from a best of 17.6 to 18.4 seconds.

IMO if you were wanting to increase acceleration then take out weight. Find the lightest wheels/tires you can and start stripping the car down. You'll get better acceleration, milage and braking. :) Ohh, and probably a bunch of road noise and rattles and passangers won't like sitting on milk crates. :p

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]337505[/snapback]</div>
    Yeh, maybe a lower pressure turbo might be the thing after all.

I had a Rootes-type supercharger bolted to the 1.6 engine in my Miata and it really made a difference; that, too, didn't require any sort of major revisions to the fuel injection. It had this feature where it was able to disengage during idle and low speed driving, but clearly there were parasitic losses that were always happening regardless of that.

What makes this idea lots more complecated is that I'm not looking for a weekend car, but a daily driver that just happens to be a bit more powerful.

I wonder, now, about tweaking the stock 1.5. Would probably provide less power than other ideas, but hopefully more reliable and easier to accomplish. Perhaps I might try shaving the head a bit to bump the compression...? That wouldn't be too difficult, and the engine does have a knock detector, right, so it can retard timing if necessary...?

A matter of disassembling the top end of the engine and some machine work. Perhaps I would ask him to clean up the intake and exhaust passages and the valves, too...?

I think the point about the engine retaining a similar powerband to stock is a good one; I hadn't considered how important that is.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CR is already high in these cars. 13:1 or something like that? Compression really dosnt yield much in the way of power per point. Then you get to a point where you will have to increase octane to keep it out of ignition retard or else your power and milage will take a big hit.

The other drawback to doing a turbo or blower would be upgrading the fuel delivery system. if you added enough power you are VERY likely to over tax the stock fuel system. You could easily calculate that though if you know the fuel injector sizing and their pressure raqting then the fuel pressure of the system itself. That would give you the total amount of HP the system is able to support safely without inducing injector lockup or running out of capacity at the pump. :0

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]337403[/snapback]</div>
    Tune the engine to run on the Otto cycle instead of the Atkinson cycle. The 1NZ-FE in the Yaris puts out 103hp (new SAE)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 24 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]337427[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius engine is the same engine as the Yaris (1NZ-FE)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]337433[/snapback]</div>
    It's the same engine.

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 24 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]337505[/snapback]</div>

Your instincts are right, the Echo 1.5 would be a bad, bad idea to bolt in. The Prius 1.5 uses the same block, but from what I recall, it has a lot of lightweight parts, and there are some differences with the valves. The lightweight parts are part of the reason why the RPMs have to be kept low, but they're also the same reason the engine can be spun up from a dead stop sort of quickly.

With a turbo, you've got other issues to worry about. I'm not sure if the cooling system continues to run when the engine shuts down in the Prius, but if it doesn't, you'll end up with a cooked turbo. Even without that, you'll probably want a separate cooling system for the turbo, as the Prius wouldn't know to keep the cooling fan running for a few minutes after you shut the car off on a hot day. Again, cooked turbo. And you'll probably want an intercooler, as turbo's work best with cold air. That's a lot of crap to stuff under the hood. :)

You may want to consider a supercharger instead (I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up). A supercharger develops more low end power, which would help to get the Prius off the line a bit quicker. It's probably a bit less involved than a properly done turbo, but I'm not quite as familiar with superchargers as I am with turbos. :)

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think most performance can be won in software rather than hardware.
    Topspeed probably can't be easily be raised due to the max. rpm of the generator, but I think acceleration can be improved by reprogramming.

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Just add a booster electric motor and second battery to drive the rear wheels. Should be much easier than changing the engine.

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Lot's of ideas here.

Pinto: I don't know if the exhaust will give any real HP, but how will we know unless someone tries it!

As far as NO2 and turbo, both can be done safely. Nitrous can be a very inexpensive and efficient way of producing more power. How safe it is all depends on your use. Trying to inject a 150hp shot of NO2 would certainly not be a good thing. However, a smaller 50-75 shot probably would have no damaging effects.

A turbo may be the way to go, as long as the fuel system was able to keep up. Then again, with the PRius engine, gains would not be so huge that it would require a significantly higher amount of fuel. Stock is probaly sufficient.

I do know of the Prius GT. It's not practical though. I drive mine everyday. I don't want to give up the side airbags. Wouldn't mind a roll cage if it weren't so intrusive. And finally, I drive my kids to school in it, so removing the rear seat is a no go. Basically I'm not willing to give up ANY of the creature comforts for performance. I even added about 50 pounds of audio gear to the back. THis is all stuff I want in addition to performance.

Ah, yes, it was Blitz, not HKS. Anyway, it just goes to show that it is possible to add a healthy dose of HP. Add in the nearly 300 lb.ft. of torque fromthe electric and you've got good times for sure. Certainly enough to surprise even a decent sports oriented car off the line... ;)

As for me, I'm not going to do anythng really extreme. I'm going to make mine as fun as possible without modifying the engine or electrical system. I'm getting a Lotus Exige in about a year, year and a half or so, so performance will not be an issue. Still, that doesn't mean I don't want the Prius to be fun!

Until then, if there are any neat parts that would give me more power without really tearing into the engine I'm all for it.

19. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Bjorn... Have you driven the Lotus Elise? There seems to be a lot of people selling them off at really attractive prices these days. I guess these people purchased the cars and then found out that they were NOT that great as a daily driver! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 25 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]337962[/snapback]</div>

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Oct 25 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]338070[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and the Exige (the hardtop version) is even more extreme. But people who buy this as a daily driver are very... misinformed.

You do NOT buy this to drive on your daily commute. You can every now and then, but doing it every day would not be fun. It is a relatively easy car to drive, but it is very much not concerned with creature comforts. It rides VERY rough.

But as a weekend car, or one to drive to work occasionally, is unbeatable for fun (or at least unbeatable without spending over $150,000).

I've speced it out at the dealership (haven't put the deposit yet), and included the Touring pack, which includes carpet (!) and leather seats, and adds a miniscule bit of comfort. The seats are still basically a shell with a thin layer of padding only though. Short drives are OK, buit longer ones can be tough.