1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Room for a few more ponies under the hood?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 25 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]337962[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I am considering it, but the thing that bothers me with the Tom's pipe (that's the only one I've checked into so far) is the aesthetics of the chrome tip and how it looks protruding horizontally from the underside of the bumper. I do have a fear that it will be like a car with headers and go 'tik tik tik' as the metal cools, which always kind of irritated me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 25 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]337962[/snapback]</div>
    I honestly don't know much about nitrous, but from what I've heard it's more of an 'all or nothing' setup, right? If that's so, I don't think it would be right for my needs.

This sounds more like it to me. Linear power delivery over a majority of the RPM range, and the turbo wouldn't shock the driveline (or drive solar system...?) either, the way nitrous might. I did drive a supercharged Miata for a while (before having the engine removed and replaced with a 5.0 Ford V8) and the blower was a good setup, come to think of it. VERY linear, fairly quiet and didn't require too much plumbing (and no routing of hot exhaust, specifically) self-lubricated, the Rootes design doesn't heat the intake air in the way turbos do...hmmmmm...I wonder...

I keep asking myself, "where can I buy a Prius GT crate engine?"

There is *absolutely* no way I'm putting a roll cage in my car. Ditto ripping out the airbags or sound insulation or taking out the spare tire. In my opinion, the car's already been designed down to its curb weight...and I like it just the way it is!!

I think there's a lot to be said for this strategy...including the acquisition of a Lotus! I'm so out of my depth with Toyota engines in general and this one in particular that I don't mind admitting, the thought of tearing down the engine gives me the creeps sometimes.

I probably *should* agree with you, but something inside me still asks, "what if...?" With most other cars, it'd be like, off we go to my favorite mechanic's shop...but this one really has me thinking twice about everything. Which is probably good.
    [smile]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 25 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]338100[/snapback]</div>
    You got that right lol

did you add power windows? :lol:

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of my customers has an 06 Exige that he has been trying to sell me for the past month!! :)

The first thing is that these cars are a pain in the nice person to get in and out of!! I am in good shape and not overweight and I still had an "interesting" time getting into the thing. I thought it drove really well and handled extremely well. Very nimble and "tossable" but can definately use more power. The car does not seem to come alive until after 6k RPM. It desperately needs some kind of forced induction to overcome the lack ot torque on the bottom.

If I were to purchase this car it would only be a toy for me and for fun. I would then right away bolt a supercharger on that puppy and tune it on the chassis dyno!! Then it would really be a lot of fun! :)

Getting back to the point at hand in regard to the Prius, I personally do not think that there is any appreciable amount of power that can be had by simple exhuast system upgrades. Generally when you put an aftermarket muffler on or replace the entier exhaust all that results is that it is louder and often times there is a power reduction, especially in torque.

Remember these are only 1500 cc engines and with an A/F ratio approaching 15-16:1, they are not designed for power and torque but for efficiency and fuel economy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 25 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]338100[/snapback]</div>

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Oct 25 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]338343[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's the thing. Keep it in its 'power' cam at 6,000rpm. It is using the 2ZZ-GE engine built by Yamaha (and used in the Celica GT-S. I'm sure you knew that).

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I really dislike engines that you have to rev to the moon to make the car movie out of its own way. For example my wife drives a Honda S-2000. It makes 240 HP but you sure would not know it by the way it feels.

Personally I like a car that has a broad torque curve, not one that makes 30 lbs of torque until it hits 6,000 RPM's then goes to 130.

I am aware that the Lotus powertrain is a Toyota. I really think that this engine NEEDS either more displacement or forced induction. Bolting on a supercharger would be the easiest way to get a lot more power out of this powerplant and boy it could really use it!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 25 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]338358[/snapback]</div>

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I kinda like cars with what I call a 'Jekyll and Hyde' personality. Cool, calm, and collected most of the time, with a snarling beast lurking within, ready and willing when you are. Personally, they're easier to drive around town than those muscle cars with stump-pulling torque that chirp the tires everytime you shift, and more fun when you get to take them off their leash. Not that I have any objections to a supercharger... :)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 25 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]338103[/snapback]</div>
    So tell us, Pinto Girl, why does your Prius still have only 4 cylinders? You don't really need all that room in the back anyway, and you should do something creative with that spare flat 12 you have in the garage... :rolleyes:

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Oct 25 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]338384[/snapback]</div>
    True but it would be nice if they can come up with an engine with a dual personality that has actual usable torque below the power band and a good load of hp up there when you decide to have a little fun.

Have you heard of the Ariel Atom? One model of it is equipped with a supercharged Type R engine that pumps out 300hp. I suppose that's in line of what you had in mind :D

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 25 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]338406[/snapback]</div>
    Well, ummmmm...now that you mention it...

I've actually toyed with the idea of purchasing a salvaged Prius and inserting a small block V8 with rear wheel drive and an automatic transmission, if you must know...but I've been keeping it to myself, 'till now.

I was concerned that the remaining shreds of my credability would be torn asunder by this revelation.
    [smile]

Okay, I admit it, I'll come clean; my interests run towards the unusual...I can't help it! Especially sleepers, if you must know. I've survived the V8 Miata, a V8 Pinto before that (it handled rather poorly; I loaned it to a friend and he rolled it on Interstate 280, near Los Altos Hills). Why not a V8 Prius?

That's a rhetorical question, silly.

What's funny is that I was driving Buzz to the BART station this morning and couldn't help but think to myself that the car is so good, just the way it is now. What in Heaven's name am I doing even discussing things like superchargers, engine swaps, and such...?

Why can't I ever leave well enough alone...?!?
    [laughing]

I think I know the answer, but -- at the present time -- am choosing to ignore it.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 27 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]339518[/snapback]</div>
    May I suggest getting your "aggressions" out with Gran Turismo 4 on the Playstation 2 where you can buy a Prius, and then progressively replace parts to your desire as well as turning off VSC and TRAC. Most appropriate with a Logitech PS2 steering wheel. Then drive it all over the rugged roads of the world. :lol:

My GT4 Prius with all the port polishing, engine and body lightening, chip tuning, suspension tuning, still is a bit slow versus say a Mini Cooper S, but the Prius can sure hang and carve on the turns. I haven't decided if I wanted to replace the CVT with manual tranny yet.

11. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 25 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]338461[/snapback]</div>
    I also so clips of an electric version of the Atom modified by another company. I wouldn't mind getting either!

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Oct 27 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]339734[/snapback]</div>
    I have it fully modded except for the transmission since if you upgrade the transmission, you lose the Energy Monitor and the CVT. I also added the wheels Toyota used at the Detroit Auto Show when they showed the Prius Concept.

It's not bad but still a tad slow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Oct 27 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]339738[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah....!

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I thought about getting an Atom instead of the Exige, but at least the Exige is "practical." It almost hurt my fingers typing in the word pradctical in reference to the Lotus, but compared to the Atom it really is. But my god what a car the atom is. On Top Gear, it was driven by Jermey Clarkson, who has driven just about every high performance car on the planet. When he drove the Atom, he said it was the most intense car he had ever driven! That really says a lot.

Back to the Prius (sort of). There have been some comments about the engine being small, at 1.5L. Well, first keep in mind that the Lotus Elise has a 1.8L engine, and it is upgradeable to 380 hp with the Forced Fed 380R turbo package (don't ask about price! I mean it!). There are also drag racing Civics out there with 1.5L engines with upwards of 700hp and more.

The small size of het engine is not a problem. What IS a problem is the high compression, the Atkinson cycle, and probably the CVT (no idea on power capacity, although with 295 lb/ft it seems to be OK). In a heavily computer regulated car like the Prius, it's not so easy to plug and play. Kinda miss the good old days. I'm plannign on building a 1972 Corvette for my wife with a Chevy 572 crate motor. That is easy stuff to work with. I've been planning it for a couple of years now, and I calculated that I'll be able to get around 780hp on pump gas. But the point is, in this car I can do things like throw in a new tranny, or headers, or whatever, and there's no computer that is going to suddenly revolt becuase the readings it's getting from some fo the 10 million sensors are out of the spec'd range. I could get a 2006 Corvette Z06 crate motor which would be a lot smoother and more refined, but once again it has all those sensors and a stupid ECU to get in the way. That old style 572 is ALL mechanical. Sure as hell don't need a laptop to tune it! This is the biggest issue with cars these days, way to much computer processing going on. Granted, cars these days wouldn't be as much fun and are much better than older cars in way too many way to count, but with each computerized advance it took a lot of options out of the enthusiasts hands.

Heck, look at hte hoops I had to jump through just to get a regular audio signal out of the Prius's stereo!

These computers are a belssing and a curse at the same time.

Thena gain, computers also give us cars like the new 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo. My god that is an awesome car. The computer controlled variable vane turbo is simply breathtaking. Literally. This thing is so damn fast it's rediculous! One of my wife's partners got a white one, and of course I had to beg for a ride. WOW! So while I hate computers, I also love them. Oh, and this is one car where the automatic is FASTER than the manual (computer keeps the turbo spinning spooled up at all times, so there is less lag.. very clever!). But I'll be damned if there's a single thing that I could modify on it that I wouldn't need a laptop with some prety special software to recalibrate the ECU.

Damn, damn, damn. I want to hate them but I love them too much.

Sorry, too much insane ranting now. I pray that none of the rest of you get a terminal car-mod infection like I have. If you do, may god have mercy on your wallet!

14. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got finished putting a Porsche TT on the dyno. I actually thought that it would put down a lot more power than it did!! Kind of dissapointing really... Oh well, they sure drive really nice though!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 2 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]342678[/snapback]</div>

15. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey Pinto, if you want speed get an Mitsubishi Evo. The Prius is my first car, but i've driven an Evo. OMG the experience was transcending... It helped that my friend's Evo had 450+ to WHp too :) Eh, and it's a decent Grocery Car. IMHO only the Ariel Atom can top that in terms of cars that I'd like to have (And can possibly afford some day) but the Atom is about ($65K~80K) Dependant on whether you assemble it yourself or not. I've actually gotten quotes from Ariel USA. Oh, and btw the Evo is only $30k. The Prius is a commuter car! No point in making it something it's not really meant to be.

Handling can still substitute for speed though. You don't have to be able to hit 100+ getting the freeway on ramp, just corners at 30Mph can make some 'Macho Men' weak in the knees. You've already got the Sportivo set. Can't you corner hard?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 2 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]342678[/snapback]</div>

The only thing is that the Ariels here don't use the Honda engines. They use GM engines.. including the 300hp version. :mellow:

17. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 2 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]343041[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I know... :p actually they made that change only recently. Just for fun i signed up and configured one in June and they still had the Honda engines. The only problem was they had them as the top two tiers in terms of power/price. I just logged in a few minutes ago to their website and it's different. Sadly, what you said is true... only GM enginez.... :eek:

I'm not a really good with technical car stuff, but i wonder if it's possible to fit an Evo's engine on that Atom chasis. Sheesh that would fly... It'd be pretty kool to possibly see the turbo spin up too. haha. Oh, I need to make a correction the very Base (And i'm talking without windshield) model of the Atom you can order is $41K++. :p And you're screwed if it rains.
    See it here on You Tube
    ARIEL USA

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Nov 2 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]343049[/snapback]</div>
    Oh well.. just import from UK haha. I mean, why not import directly from the factory? :D

Why do turbo? I mean, the 300hp supercharged Type R engine is plenty fast and can give the Zonda F, SLR McLaren, F50 and such a run for their money.

like you said, the only downside is you'll need a couple of oxygen tanks cause you're more or less looking down the pipe of the Escalade in front of you.