1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roommate's Car - P0A09 - Inverter Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KitsuneVoss, Jun 17, 2024 at 8:23 AM.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP TL;DR Summarized below

No, you do not want to buy the Haynes manual. They're no longer what they were back in the '70s and '80s. They used to be published out of the UK, I think by Sparkford Publishing or something like that. I think somebody bought them up and turned them into light reading material.

It seems like you are talking about a specific technical issue with a car. The main points I gathered are that you are looking for specific excerpts from a Toyota manual set, particularly about the DC to DC converter for the 12-volt battery charging. You mentioned that it's challenging to find the information you need without having to pay for it and that some people share PDF copies of the factory manual set online. Additionally, you discussed the differences in the inverter between generation two and generation three cars and how some owners are reluctant to change it due to a low failure rate.

#21 dolj, Jun 18, 2024 at 8:29 AM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2024 at 10:56 AM
  2. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the actual Toyota technical manual for a 2002 Prius for the 2003. It is in two volumes.
    I was unable to find a paper copy for a 2008 or so.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The 2008 and 9 I believe are the last of the paper manuals but I'm not positive of that I can go down and look in the manual room at my Toyota place now it's all on the computer I believe 2010 forward it's all PDF read it on a screen basis The 2006 to 2009 each of those years I believe is a three manual set very similar to my '85 Supra which is a two big green manual set The books are like thick as the Bible two of them for the Supra Three of them for the Prius I remember when they came out in '04 I think it was one of the first three manual sets in Toyodadom at the time We talked about it in the shop quite a bit so there's always that If you look on eBay you will see the three manual set in paper for $300 $288 somewhere in there. They are around and available I'm supposed to having a set on its way to me here at some point that's another whole bunch of business.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think Toyota's last year for paper manuals was 2011, maybe 2010. They're online now.

Ways to access them are described on this page:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

Going straight to Toyota's online site involves a nominal fee, is it $25 these days?

Back in the days I bought paper manuals for my cars, $25 would have been unimaginably cheap.

But there are also other options besides going to Toyota's online site, and some of them are free, like if your local public library has an arrangement. Clearly, some of those options depend on where you live.

Elektroingenieur wrote most of what's on that wiki page, and made a real effort to describe all the ways you could get access, including the free ones. If you haven't taken the time to read what he wrote there, you might be making things harder.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That was a very interesting skim. I guess good general information I guess I'm not seriously worried about copyright infringement on technical publications of items that are nearing 20 years old seriously I would love for somebody to bring me a lawsuit for copying publications of a technical manual for my personal use here at my house I would truly will welcome that that would be quite hysterical actually anyhow.