1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rostra Lumbar in 2006?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SebMike, Apr 27, 2006.

1. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    -

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ May 5 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]250252[/snapback]</div>
    I get it now. :) After paying for shipping from both places, the total price will definitely be higher as compared to buying everything from one place. I do like the round switches though, which is a high-price option for the lumbar place.

3. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    phumpher -

What did you pay for the seat heaters? I just tried calling but, there closed now. Probably won't get ahold of someone until Monday.

Thanks

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 5 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]250522[/snapback]</div>
    Unless phumpher got a better deal than they're offering me - they are $155 for the two-temp unit, and $150 for the single temp unit. This is for a pair of 2-pad heaters.... plus shipping.

5. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 5 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]250524[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks darelldd

I'm going to put my order in Monday.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, Curt. The PDA guys definitely remember you, and I guess a few of us Prius guys have ordered from them now. The bad news is that we're "treated right" be being charged $9 more than the price on the web site. :( Apparently the cost of these has gone up, and we're paying for it.

I ordered the lumbar from PDA, and the heaters from Cartek since I like their harness, switches and price.

7. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I installed the lumbar support and it went well. I did both the driver and front passenger seats.

For the console, after popping the front off only two screws need to be removed, then the felt inside can be lifted up and a couple bolts removed. Then it's easy to get access to the wiring. I tapped a couple holes on the chassis for the ground for each seat.

I did break a plastic tab on the passenger's seat for the side plastic piece which I removed to install the switch... it's tricky to remove it.

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 14 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]255283[/snapback]</div>
    Great, Aaron. I'll remember to be careful with the plastic covers. I too, plan on putting the switches in that trim instead of the console. The only advantage of having them in the console is that if (no, WHEN) my wife forgets to turn her's off, I can more easily reach the switch from the driver's seat. We'll see. I can easily change my mind on the fly.

Aaron - while I'm awaiting the arrival of my lumbar bladders... can you tell me how much current each of the pump draws? I'm starting the wiring now, and would like to size the wire and fuses appropriately. Thanks!

9. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 14 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]255359[/snapback]</div>
    They come with fuses which I think are rated at 5 amps. The pump draws more than 1.2 amps (which one of my power supplies puts out), but not too much. I tied into the center power connector which is fused at 15 amps, I think, which surprised me given the small size of the wire going to the connector. I have the fuses available under the seats if needed. For the ground wire, I just drilled holes in the chassis and tapped them and crimped on a ground lug and screwed it in. There's plenty of space where the carpet lifts up to do this.

The switches are 3 way rockers. One direction activates the pump and the other activates a deflation valve. I broke a tab on passenger's side cover, but it doesn't seem to have hurt it much. The tab is pretty akward to get it to release. Removing the seats was easy. Just four bolts and a few connectors. You have to undo about 5 metal rings to pull up the upulstry enough to install the bladder. I replaced 3 of them with zip ties, since they're a lot easier to install and remove later if needed. I used a dremel cutting wheel and exacto knife to cut out the hole for the switch. A template is provided. I did it from the back side, since it was a lot easier to measure so both seats match. There's a *lot* of wire left over.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 14 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]255371[/snapback]</div>
    Great info, Aaron. Thanks again. I agree about the 15A fuse on the console power outlet - those wires are skinny! Same with the front power outlet, of course. Anyway, it sounds like that's a safe place to tap in for the low-current pump power. I'm bringing a +12V wire in direct from the battery for all of my new additions (heaters and bladders) but I'll tie into the power outlet for "switched power" that the heaters need to see.

I also agree about replacing everything possible with the zip ties. Nothing sharp to short or puncture anything. Can't wait for my stuff to get here, though I haven't heard anything back since my order was placed last week.

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 14 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]255283[/snapback]</div>
    OK... I'm deep into this now, and I now totally understand about that dang tab! How do you get to it? How does it clip? How is a human supposed to unclip it?

This is where you mean, right? The rest comes off easy, but right here it is clipped together with no access.
    [​IMG]

If any body has some advice for this, I'd love to hear it. I'm dead in the water until I get this off... or break it off.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, folks... I probably shouldn't share the page yet since it is no-where near finished, but what the heck:
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_seat_heat.htm

Today I got the passenger seat heated, but I'm still waiting on the air bladder before I open up the driver's side.

If anybody can tell me how they removed that one plastic clip on the outside lower plastic trim of each seat, I'm all ears. That thing is NOT needed... and as far as I can tell, it is not removeable!

Same measured data for the heaters (also listed on the linked page):
    One seat on high (both heating pads on): 4.2A at 13.8V
    One seat on Los (both heating pads on): 1.35A
    Standby current when ignition is on: 140mA

The literature says 8-10A for both seats on high. so it looks like they knew what they were talking about.

Thanks for everybody's help here! Now... when does the soreness in the fingers go away?

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "Well, Curt. The PDA guys definitely remember you, and I guess a few of us Prius guys have ordered from them now. The bad news is that we're "treated right" be being charged $9 more than the price on the web site. Apparently the cost of these has gone up, and we're paying for it.

I ordered the lumbar from PDA, and the heaters from Cartek since I like their harness, switches and price."

Yeah, they are a little slow to update the web site! I get down to Denver every once in awhile and they always have new, cool stuff way before the web site reflects the new arrivals/prices.

I can't think of a way to help ya with that seat tab thingy. I want to say I didn't remove anything from the seat that challanging...can ya work it another way, leaving that part intact? :huh:

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 17 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]257124[/snapback]</div>
    Naah, screw it. That thing wasn't needed anyway. Even after I broke it off, I still could not extract the tab from the hole even with a direct pull with pliers and the assistance of a wedged screw-driver tip! There was simply NO way anybody could remove it when it was hidden behind the panel. Maybe it was just that one stuck. I'll see if the other side will let me release it. AT least now I know EXACTLY how that tab is supposed to work. I just left the broken tab in place this time around. Seriously - I have no way of getting it out even with direct access!

15. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 17 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]257137[/snapback]</div>

I managed to remove the tab after fiddling around a lot with some long nosed pliers. On the driver's side I was more careful and managed to pull it out intact. I don't know a good way to do this other than be very careful. It doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell if the tab is broken.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I have some new pictures up on my page. It is nothing like a how-to, but it shows some of the decisions I made so others can see the result, and what is possible. I'll likely keep adding to it over time.

So the score is - both front seats heated, and the driver side also has the adjustable lumbar support. I really like the switch locations (lumbar on the side of the seat, heaters in the console). I went back and forth a lot on those, but once you make the holes, you're committed! I like being able to reach both seat heaters from either seat so I can turn my wife's off when she falls asleep.

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_seat_heat.htm

17. artcarter

artcarter New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybridguy @ Apr 30 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]247655[/snapback]</div>
    Where can I find this PDA Inc. company? Do they have a website?

Looking to buy a Prius, but was hung up on the base seats without lumbar support

Thanks.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(artcarter @ May 26 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]261383[/snapback]</div>
    My page has the links to where to buy. Also found in this thread.

19. adchesney

adchesney New Member

I am after purchasing a lumabr support system for my 2007 Prius. I will be visiting USA on 12th Sept - 24th Sept and was hoping to get these whilst in USA.

The problem is that the link to the site is broken or they have gone out of business - can anyone help a fellow UK Prius owner to locate a supplier of these Electronic Bladder Systems?

Regards

ANDREW

20. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF